Viewing Locked Threads: FAQs & Reasons

• Thread starter RichMortimer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user looking for a FAQs area on a website but not being able to find one. They also came across a locked thread that may have helped with a problem they have. They ask if anyone can help with viewing the thread and if there is a reason why it is locked. The response is that the thread may be inactive for over 2 years, which is why it is locked. The user then asks if it is possible to re-open the thread or if it is lost forever. The conversation then shifts to the topic of the two FAQs areas on the website and the link to the locked thread is provided. The user is surprised that they can only see the first two posts and the reason for this is
RichMortimer
Hi,

I looked for a FAQs area but couldn't find one?

I've come across a thread which may help with a problem I have but it is locked?

Can anyone help with viewing this?

Is there a reason it should be locked?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RichMortimer said:
Hi,

I've come across a thread which may help with a problem I have but it is locked?

Can anyone help with viewing this?

Is there a reason it should be locked?

Thank you.
Has the thread been inactive over 2 years? If so, that is the likely reason if none was given.

Hi Evo,

That will be why then! Thanks.

Is it possible to re-open this or is it lost forever?

Thank you!

RichMortimer said:
Hi Evo,

That will be why then! Thanks.

Is it possible to re-open this or is it lost forever?

Thank you!
If the last post doesn't give a specific reason why it's closed, then it should be safe for you to start a new thread on the subject. What is the link to the thread?

RichMortimer said:
Hi,

There are two FAQ areas related to physics. One is in the General Physics forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

The other is in the Relativity forum

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Your post didn't indicate clearly which subject area, and where, you were looking.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
RichMortimer said:
Evo, the locked thread is:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=175160

But I can only see first two posts.

That's all that thread has!

You do know that this is from 2007, don't you? We tend to lock many of the old threads that either are done, or went nowhere. This is one of the latter where the OP never came back to follow up, so there was no point in leaving it open.

Zz.

Ah I see,

Sorry, I figured I couldn't see any more as it was locked!

Guess I'll have to start again at the beginning then.

Thank you both for the quick response and help.

:)

RichMortimer said:
Sorry, I figured I couldn't see any more as it was locked!|
Yes, just to make it clear: a "locked thread" means you can't add new posts to it, but doesn't stop you reading anything in it.

Ha... That now makes sense!

Thanks again.

Related to Viewing Locked Threads: FAQs & Reasons

1. What is a locked thread?

A locked thread is a discussion or conversation on an online forum, social media platform, or other online community that has been intentionally closed by a moderator or administrator. This means that users can no longer post or comment on the thread.

2. Why are threads locked?

Threads can be locked for a variety of reasons, including violating forum rules or guidelines, containing inappropriate or offensive content, or becoming too contentious or off-topic. Locking a thread helps maintain the overall quality and purpose of the forum or community.

3. Can I view a locked thread?

Yes, in most cases, you can still view a locked thread even though you cannot post or comment on it. However, some forums or communities may choose to completely hide locked threads from view.

4. How can I participate in a locked thread?

If a thread is locked, it means that the discussion has been concluded or is not open for further input. In most cases, you will not be able to participate in a locked thread. However, you can always start a new thread with a similar topic for further discussion.

5. Can a locked thread be unlocked?

In some cases, a moderator or administrator may choose to unlock a thread if they believe it is necessary or if the initial reason for locking it is no longer relevant. However, this decision is at the discretion of the forum or community's moderators and cannot be requested by individual users.