Vietnamese hot sour soup w/ catfish recipe?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the conversation is about a delicious Vietnamese soup that the speaker once made by putting together various ingredients, including tomatoes, pineapple, bean sprouts, celery, catfish, and herbs. They mention that the secret ingredient might be tamarind and that they possibly added garam masala and coriander powder. They also share a website with a similar recipe. Another person expresses their interest in trying the soup and offers to provide the necessary herbs.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is this very tasty Vietnamese soup, which is on the top of my favorites list.. I once made it myself by just putting together the ingredients which I noted in the restaurant.. and it tasted pretty amazing I must say

I'd really like to know the original recipe though, anyone an idea?

Basically what I did is boil water, add tomatoes and tomato paste, pineapple pieces + the juice, bean sprouts, celery, and big pieces of catfish and some sugar. Boil that for a while and then add fresh herbs: mint and maybe coriander and some fresh slices of tomato.. the mint is very important :)

I guess the secret ingredient I missed might be tamarind..

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember now if I had to put additional spices in it.. probably I added garam masala and coriander powder, yeah.. I probably did :)

Related to Vietnamese hot sour soup w/ catfish recipe?

1. What ingredients are needed to make Vietnamese hot sour soup with catfish?

The main ingredients for this recipe are catfish fillets, chicken broth, tomatoes, pineapple, tamarind paste, fish sauce, garlic, chili peppers, and various herbs and spices.

2. Can I substitute the catfish with another type of fish?

Yes, you can use any type of white fish for this recipe. Snapper, tilapia, or cod would work well.

3. How do I make the soup spicy?

You can adjust the spice level by adding more or less chili peppers. You can also add a few drops of hot sauce or chili paste for extra heat.

4. Can I make this soup vegetarian?

Yes, you can make a vegetarian version by using vegetable broth and tofu instead of chicken broth and catfish. You can also add more vegetables like mushrooms and bok choy.

5. How long does it take to make Vietnamese hot sour soup with catfish?

The total cooking time is about 30 minutes. However, the prep time may vary depending on how long it takes to chop the vegetables and marinate the fish.