Vibration/Centrifugal Force Question

In summary, we discussed the creation of centrifugal force in a vibration project that requires mounting eccentric weights on an electric motor. The motor runs at 1000 RPM and has a total weight of 16.8Kg with a radius of 103mm. We also clarified that the "generated force" should be measured in Newtons and not kilograms, although it is possible to measure forces in kilograms in the old metric system. Additionally, we looked at a video and image for reference on how the weights should be placed on the motor for proper use in vibrating apparatus.
svansvan
Hello

I am making a vibration project which requires me to mount eccentric weights on both sides of an electric motor. I must submit the "generated force(in Kg)" by this motor.The RPM of motor = 1000
Total weight on both sides of the motor = 16.8Kg (8.4Kg on both sides)
The radius(distance from the center of the shaft to the end of the weight) = 103 mmWhat will be creation of Centrifugal force when this motor is run at 1000 RPM ??Dhiraj

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you going to locate these weights? At what radius?

Think about the problem of tension in a string holding a rock and being swung in a circle. Your problem is similar.

svansvan said:
I must submit the "generated force(in Kg)" by this motor.
This doesn't make sense. "Generated force" is measured in Newtons, not kilograms.

Dale, it does if you work in the bastard (old) metric system that measured forces in kilograms. This is exactly analogous to measuring mass in pounds. I certainly don't recommend this, but I have to recognize it when I see it happening.

So is a "1 kg force" equal to 1 N or 9.8 N?

Dale, it is the later, 1 kgf = 9.807 N.

Dale, there is also the perhaps more common gram-force, such that 1 gf = 980.7 dynes.

take a look at this video. The motor has to be used like this. To vibrate certain appratus
also look at this image for weight placement
xx.JPG
gthanks

Related to Vibration/Centrifugal Force Question

1. What is vibration?

Vibration refers to the rapid back and forth movement of an object or system. It can occur in various forms, such as mechanical vibrations in machinery or structural vibrations in buildings.

2. How is vibration measured?

Vibration can be measured using specialized instruments called accelerometers. These devices measure the magnitude and frequency of vibrations and convert them into signals that can be analyzed and interpreted.

3. What causes vibration?

Vibration can be caused by a variety of factors, including external forces, such as wind or earthquakes, or internal forces, such as imbalance or misalignment in machinery. It can also be caused by rapid changes in pressure or temperature.

4. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a circular path. It is a result of the tendency of objects to continue moving in a straight line, even when they are in a circular motion.

5. How is centrifugal force related to vibration?

In some cases, centrifugal force can contribute to the vibration of a rotating object. As the object rotates, the centrifugal force can cause it to become unbalanced, leading to vibrations. This is why it is important to properly balance rotating machinery to reduce vibration and prevent potential damage.