Vibration Analysis, Eigenvalues

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a 3D COMSOL model and vibration analysis. The person is seeking guidance on how to correlate their analytical eigenvalues with the measured results, which are in complex numbers. The MAC criterion is suggested as a tool for comparison, and the mphinterp command in MATLAB is recommended for computing the mode shapes and frequencies of the analytical results. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the reasons behind the discrepancies between the two sets of results.
Nazi1400
Hello,

I have a 3D COMSOL model which I am using for the purpose of vibration analysis.
Up to now I've got analytical eigenvalues using COMSOL with MATLAB. I have to correlate the results with the measured eigenvalues results, using MAC criterion.
The problem is that my analytical results are in real numbers but the measured results are complex numbers and I don't know why :(
I used “mphinterp” command in MATLAB to compute the eigenvalues.
Could anyone give me some hits how to do this correlation?

Cheers,
Nazi

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Nazi,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It sounds like you are working on an interesting project with your 3D COMSOL model and vibration analysis. It is not uncommon to encounter discrepancies between analytical and experimental results, and the MAC criterion is a useful tool for comparing them.

First, it is important to understand why your analytical results are in real numbers while your measured results are in complex numbers. Without knowing the specifics of your model and measurements, it is difficult to say for sure, but here are a few possibilities:

1. Your analytical results may be simplified or idealized, while your measured results are more accurate and include more complex variables. This could be due to simplifications made in your model or assumptions made in your calculations.

2. The measured results may be affected by external factors such as noise or other sources of error, which could introduce complex numbers into the data.

3. There may be a discrepancy in the units used for your analytical and measured results. Make sure to double check that they are consistent.

Once you have a better understanding of why your results are in different forms, you can begin to compare them using the MAC criterion. This criterion is based on the concept of modal assurance, which measures the similarity between two modes of vibration. Essentially, you will need to compare the mode shapes and frequencies of your analytical and measured results and determine how well they match up.

To do this, you can use the mphinterp command in MATLAB to compute the mode shapes and frequencies of your analytical results at the same locations and frequencies as your measured results. This will allow for a direct comparison between the two sets of data. From there, you can calculate the MAC values and determine the level of correlation between the two sets of results.

I hope this helps you get started on your correlation analysis. If you have any further questions or need more guidance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Vibration Analysis, Eigenvalues

1. What is vibration analysis?

Vibration analysis is a method used to study the behavior of mechanical systems by analyzing the vibrations they produce. This technique is commonly used in engineering and science to identify potential problems and improve the overall performance of a system.

2. What are eigenvalues in vibration analysis?

Eigenvalues in vibration analysis refer to the characteristic values that represent the natural frequencies of a system. These values are obtained by solving the eigenvalue problem, which involves finding the roots of the system's characteristic equation.

3. How is vibration analysis used in real-world applications?

Vibration analysis is used in a variety of real-world applications, including structural engineering, aerospace engineering, and mechanical engineering. It is used to identify potential failures in machinery, optimize designs, and improve the overall performance of systems.

4. What are some common techniques used in vibration analysis?

Some common techniques used in vibration analysis include modal analysis, frequency analysis, time-domain analysis, and operational deflection shape analysis. These techniques involve measuring and analyzing the vibrations of a system to determine its behavior and characteristics.

5. How can vibration analysis help improve the reliability and safety of systems?

Vibration analysis can help improve the reliability and safety of systems by detecting potential issues before they become major problems. It can also be used to optimize designs and identify any structural weaknesses, allowing for improvements to be made to ensure the system's reliability and safety.