Very elementary notation question

In summary, Shankar explains the action of the X operator in terms of the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the matrix X. He writes that the notation |f(x)\rangle as the ket corresponding to f(x) (which he says near the top of pg. 69) is sloppy, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
romistrub
Shankar p68-69 gives a mathematical "derivation" of the action of the X (position) operator, the summary of which is as follows:
[tex]\left\langle x \left| \textbf{X} \right| f \right\rangle = \dots = xf(x)[/tex]
I followed the logic without a problem, since it only involves using the matrix elements of X in the basis of eigenfunctions of X. However, the next paragraph reads:
We can summarize the action of X in Hilbert space as
[tex]\textbf{X} \left| f(x) \right\rangle = \left|xf(x)\right\rangle[/tex].

Similarly, he writes, of the action of X in the K basis
[tex]\textbf{X} \left| g(k) \right\rangle = \left|i\frac{dg(k)}{dk}\right\rangle[/tex]

Now, to me

[tex]f(x) = \left\langle x | f \right\rangle[/tex]

and

[tex]g(k) = \left\langle k | g \right\rangle[/tex]

are scalars. Hence I cannot comprehend what is intended by Shankar's notation. Any insight?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am wondering if the next computation gives some insight: Shankar then computes the matrix elements of X in the K basis as:
[tex]\left\langle k \left| \textbf{X} \right| k' \right\rangle = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-ikx}xe^{ikx}dx[/tex]

where, again, to me

[tex]\left\langle x|k\right\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex]

and not

[tex]\left|k\right\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex]

Last edited:
Inside the integral you have

[tex]e^{-ikx} x e^{ik'x}[/tex]

[tex]= e^{-ikx} \frac{1}i \frac{d}{dk'} e^{ik'x}[/tex]

which is what leads him to write that [tex]\textbf{X} \left| g(k) \right\rangle = \left|i\frac{dg(k)}{dk}\right\rangle[/tex].The notation [tex]|f(x)\rangle[/tex] as the ket corresponding to f(x) (which he says near the top of pg. 69) is sloppy, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He's not saying that [tex]|k\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex], he's just using it as a notation to express the ket that comes out of the operation [tex]X|f\rangle[/tex].

Last edited:
romistrub said:
[tex]\left\langle x|k\right\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex]

and not

[tex]\left|k\right\rangle \propto e^{ikx}[/tex]

This is correct. To go from left to right, simply insert
[tex]1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\text{d}x\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x\right|[/tex]

Related to Very elementary notation question

1. What is notation?

Notation is a system of symbols or characters used to represent mathematical or scientific ideas or concepts. It allows for a concise and standardized way of communicating complex ideas.

2. What are the different types of notation?

There are various types of notation used in different fields of study, such as mathematical notation, scientific notation, musical notation, and chemical notation. Each type serves a specific purpose and has its own set of symbols and rules.

3. How is notation used in science?

Notation is an essential tool in science, as it allows scientists to represent and manipulate complex concepts and data in a concise and standardized manner. It is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and more.

4. Why is it important to use proper notation?

Using proper notation is crucial in science as it ensures clear and precise communication between scientists and allows for easier understanding and interpretation of data. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings and errors in calculations.

5. How can I improve my understanding and use of notation?

To improve your understanding and use of notation, it is essential to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the symbols and rules of the specific type of notation you are using. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or refer to reliable resources and examples.