Very easy mechanics problem - am i making a stupid mistake?

In summary, if you're having trouble solving a mechanics problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and double checking for any missed information. It can be helpful to discuss your approach with others or consult external resources. Additionally, make sure you're using the correct equations and formulas and carefully check for any math errors.
Ara macao
An object starts at time t = 0 with a velocity of v0 = +50 m/s and undergoes a constant acceleration of a = -11 m/s^2.

b) How far from its starting (t = 0) position is the object at time t_1?

I get 44.5 meters. it sounds right 'cuz the equation would mean 0+50*1 - 11/2 *1^2 = 44.5 meters. But the computerized grading system still counts it as wrong. Am I making a stupid mistake or what?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks OK to me. (Assuming it's straightline motion and you mean t = 1 s.) Does the system care about significant figures?

It is possible that you are making a mistake, but it is also possible that the computerized grading system is not accepting your answer for a different reason. It would be helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. Additionally, it is always a good idea to provide your work and reasoning when solving a problem, as this can help identify any potential errors. If you are confident in your answer, you may want to reach out to your instructor or the grading system administrator for clarification.

Related to Very easy mechanics problem - am i making a stupid mistake?

1. Am I overthinking the problem?

It's possible that you may be overcomplicating the problem. Try to break it down into smaller, simpler steps and see if that helps you solve it.

2. Did I miss a key piece of information?

Double check the problem to make sure you have all the necessary information. It's easy to overlook a small detail that could make a big difference in solving the problem.

3. Is my approach correct?

If you're unsure about your approach, consider discussing it with a colleague or looking up similar problems online to see how others have solved them.

4. Am I using the correct equations/formulas?

Make sure you're using the appropriate equations and formulas for the specific type of mechanics problem you're trying to solve. Refer to your notes or a textbook for guidance.

5. Could I be making a math error?

Even the smallest math mistake can throw off your entire solution. Check your calculations and make sure you're using the correct units and following the correct order of operations.