Vertical Projectile Motion: Finding Speed at Maximum Height

In summary, a vertical launch is a method of launching an object perpendicular to the ground using powerful engines. This allows for precise targeting and control of the object's trajectory, and can reach higher altitudes and speeds compared to a horizontal launch. Some practical applications include space exploration, defense and military operations, and transportation of satellites and humans into space.
jaded18
First, let us consider an object launched vertically upward with an initial speed v. Neglect air resistance. What is the speed of the object at the height of (1/2)h max? i know that h max = (initial v in the y direction / 2g) and i also know that Kinitial +Uinitial =Kfinal +Ufinal or 0.5(mv^2) = 0.25(mv^2) + mg(.5 h max)

please help! you will be blessed, i swear... :)

Physics news on Phys.org
your formula is wrong.

hmax = (vinitial^2)/(2g)

now use the equation:

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

use d = (1/2)hmax. use a = -g. use vi = vinitial... and that's it. solve for vf.

ok i got it. thanks^^

Last edited:

Related to Vertical Projectile Motion: Finding Speed at Maximum Height

1. What is a vertical launch?

A vertical launch is a method of launching a projectile or spacecraft in a direction perpendicular to the ground. This is in contrast to a horizontal launch, where the object is launched parallel to the ground.

2. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched into the air and then follows a curved path under the influence of gravity. This includes objects such as missiles, bullets, and even sports balls like baseballs or tennis balls.

3. How does a vertical launch work?

A vertical launch typically involves a launch vehicle, such as a rocket, that uses powerful engines to create thrust and lift the object off the ground. Once the object reaches a certain height, it will continue to travel in a curved path until it reaches its target or falls back to the ground due to gravity.

4. What are the advantages of a vertical launch?

A vertical launch offers several advantages, including the ability to launch from a fixed location and the ability to reach higher altitudes and speeds compared to a horizontal launch. It also allows for more precise targeting and control of the projectile's trajectory.

5. What are some practical applications of vertical launch?

Vertical launch has a wide range of practical applications, including space exploration, defense and military operations, and scientific research. It is also used in industries such as aerospace and transportation to launch satellites, cargo, and even humans into space.