Vertical Motion under Gravity Q)

In summary, the question asks for the value of h in a problem involving a stone thrown vertically upwards with a speed of 16m/s and hitting the ground 4 seconds later. The solution involves using kinematic equations and setting the vertical displacement equal to the opposite of the initial height. By substituting t=4, the value of h can be found.
Lavace

Homework Statement

Apologies for so many posts, however this is the last question.

A stone his thrown vertically upwards with speed 16m/s from point h meters above the ground. The stone hits the ground 4s later.
Find the value of h.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really haven't a clue on how to start this question, I haven't really encoutered this before, and would end up doing my own sledgehammer way.
But otherwise, can someone people give hints on how to solve this, I know all the kinematic equations, its just this situation confuses me cause of h.

Thanks in advance.
Lav.

Physics news on Phys.org
delta y = (voy)t - 4.9t^2

when the stone hits the ground, its vertical displacement will be the opposite of its initial height ...

delta y = -h

-h = 16t - 4.9t^2

sub in t = 4 ... h = ?

I would first start by defining the problem and identifying the known and unknown variables. In this case, we know the initial velocity (16m/s), the time (4s), and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). The unknown variable is the initial height (h) above the ground.

Next, I would use the kinematic equations to solve for h. The equation we need is h = h0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. We can rearrange this equation to solve for h: h = h0 + v0t - 1/2at^2.

Plugging in the known values, we get h = h0 + (16m/s)(4s) - 1/2(9.8m/s^2)(4s)^2. Simplifying, we get h = h0 + 64m - 78.4m. Since we know the stone hits the ground (h = 0) after 4 seconds, we can set the equation equal to 0 and solve for h0. 0 = h0 + 64m - 78.4m. Therefore, h0 = 14.4m.

Therefore, the initial height of the stone above the ground was 14.4 meters.

Related to Vertical Motion under Gravity Q)

1. What is vertical motion under gravity?

Vertical motion under gravity refers to the movement of an object in a straight line towards the ground due to the force of gravity acting on it. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects that are dropped or thrown from a height.

2. What is the formula for calculating vertical motion under gravity?

The formula for calculating vertical motion under gravity is h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time taken for the object to fall.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its vertical motion under gravity?

The mass of an object does not affect its vertical motion under gravity. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall towards the ground at the same rate due to the force of gravity. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

4. Can vertical motion under gravity be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can have an impact on vertical motion under gravity. As an object falls, it experiences a force from the air pushing against it, known as air resistance. This force can slow down the object's descent and affect its final velocity and position.

5. What are some real-life examples of vertical motion under gravity?

Some real-life examples of vertical motion under gravity include throwing a ball into the air, dropping a pencil from a desk, and jumping off a diving board. In all of these cases, the object experiences the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.