Verifying Line Integrals Using Vector Value Functions

In summary, using the vector value function method to integrate the line from (1,2) to (0.0) yields different results than the normal way of doing it which is using dx and dy.
yungman
I want to verify I am doing this correctly first:

Evaluate##\int_c (x^2ydx+xdy)## where the line is from (1,2) to (0.0)

My method is different from the book, I am using vector value function method where ##<x(t),y(t)>-(x_0,y_0>=t\frac {d\vec r}{dt}## and ##\vec r=\hat x x(t)+\hat y y(t)## and ##\vec r'(t)= \hat x \frac{dx(t)}{dt}+\hat y \frac{dy(t)}{dt}##

We know ##\vec r_0=<1,2>\;\Rightarrow\; \vec r(t)=<1,2>+t(\hat x \frac{dx(t)}{dt}+\hat y \frac{dy(t)}{dt})##

Use 0≤t≤1 ##\Rightarrow x=1-t## and ##y=2-2t##. Therefore ##\vec r'(t)=\frac{d\vec r}{dt}=-\hat x -\hat 2y##. And ##\vec r(t)= <1,2>+t<-1,-2>=\hat x (1-t)-\hat y (2-2t)##. And ##\frac{dx(t)}{dt}=-1## and ##\frac {d y(t)}{dt}=-2##.

Therefore ##\int_c (x^2ydx+xdy)=\int_0^1 [(1-t)^2 (2-2t)(-dt)+(1-t)(-2dt)]=-\frac 3 2##

I know the final integral and the answer is correct according to the book already. That I don't need to verify. I just want to make sure the way I use vector value function approach is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
the more basic question is that from my experience in EM, the normal way of line integral is ##\int_c f(xyz) dl## where l is the path of the integration. But this problem is using dx and dy and the book substitute t into x and y instead of using vector value function like I do. So which way is correct?

yungman said:
the more basic question is that from my experience in EM, the normal way of line integral is ##\int_c f(xyz) dl## where l is the path of the integration. But this problem is using dx and dy and the book substitute t into x and y instead of using vector value function like I do. So which way is correct?

Whether you explicitly write things as vectors or just keep track of the parameter dependence without doing so doesn't make any difference. Both ways are correct.

Thanks.

Related to Verifying Line Integrals Using Vector Value Functions

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus and physics to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It is represented by the symbol ∫ f(x) ds, where f(x) is the function being integrated and ds represents the infinitesimal length along the curve.

How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a specific curve or path, rather than over a specific interval like a regular integral. It takes into account the direction and length of the curve, while a regular integral only considers the values of the function over a specific interval.

What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

In physics, line integrals are used to calculate physical quantities such as work, energy, and flux, which are dependent on the path of the object or system. They are particularly useful in electromagnetism, where electric and magnetic fields are often described as vector fields.

How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the curve or path along which the integral is being calculated. This means expressing the x and y coordinates of the curve in terms of a single variable, usually t. Then, you plug this parameterization into the integral formula and solve for the value.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used in the design of circuits, calculating the work done by a force along a specific path, and determining the flow of a vector field through a surface. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3D objects and in economics to analyze consumer demand along a specific budget line.