Verifying Inner Product Properties on a Circle Function

In summary, a group of students are trying to determine if a given integral is an inner product on the space of continuous functions defined on the unit circle. After discussing the three properties that need to be verified, they come to the conclusion that all three properties are satisfied, making it a valid inner product. They also note that the * symbol represents complex conjugation. One student raises a question about the limits of the integral, but it is resolved when they realize that the functions are only defined on the interval [0,π].
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi guys, there's a problem to which me and my pals just can't seem to get an answer that is congruent the answer on the back of the book. The homwork is due in two days and I just want to make sure the book is truly wrong. The question's simple enough: given f,g continuous on the circle ([-pi,pi)), is

[tex](f,g)=\int_0^{\pi} fg^*dt[/tex]

an inner product on the space of continuous functions defined on the circle?

We're saying yes because the 3 properties are verified:

i) (af+bg,h) = a(f,h)+b(g,h), as if evident by the properties of the integral.

ii) [tex](f,g)^* = \left( \int_0^{\pi} gf^*dt \right)^* = \int_0^{\pi} (gf^*)^*dt = \int_0^{\pi} fg^*dt = (g,f)[/tex]

iii) [tex](f,f) = \int_0^{\pi} ff^*dt = \int_0^{\pi} |f|^2 dt \geq 0[/tex]

(since |f| >= 0 and = 0 <==> f=0)

Hence all 3 properties are verified. Any objection?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are these complex functions of a real variable? Is * complex conjugation or convolution?

It seems clear by iii that * is complex conjugation.

yeah.
-----------------

Is there a reason why the integral is only from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] when the functions are defined on the entire unit circle (in the complex plane)?

Suppose f(x) were define to be 0 for t between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex] and sin(t) when t is between [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]2\pi[/itex].
What is [itex]\int ff*dt[/itex] then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I see. I just received a call from aforementioned pals who just found the 'ick'.

Last edited:

Related to Verifying Inner Product Properties on a Circle Function

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is often denoted by <x, y> and satisfies certain properties such as symmetry, linearity, and positive definiteness.

2. How do you verify inner product properties on a circle function?

To verify inner product properties on a circle function, we need to use the definition of an inner product and the properties of the circle function. This involves plugging in the circle function into the inner product expression and checking if the properties hold.

3. What are the properties of a circle function?

The properties of a circle function include periodicity, where the function repeats itself at regular intervals, and symmetry, where the function is symmetric about the origin. Additionally, a circle function also has a constant magnitude and a phase shift.

4. Why is it important to verify inner product properties on a circle function?

Verifying inner product properties on a circle function is important because it allows us to determine if the circle function can be used as an inner product space. This is crucial in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as signal processing and quantum mechanics.

5. Can a circle function satisfy all the properties of an inner product?

No, a circle function cannot satisfy all the properties of an inner product. While a circle function may satisfy some properties, such as symmetry and periodicity, it does not satisfy the linearity property. Therefore, a circle function cannot be considered a valid inner product space.