Verifying Geometric Series Formula: \sum\limits_{k = 0}^N {r^k }

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions and clarifications regarding series and their partial sums. The main formula in question, \sum\limits_{k = 0}^N {r^k } = \frac{{1 - r^{N + 1} }}{{1 - r}}, is verified to be correct, and there are discussions about conventions and technicalities when dealing with series. It is mentioned that an index shift is not always necessary when differentiating a series, but it is customary to change the index from 0 to 1.
Benny
This has been bothering me for a while. I've seen many different versions of this and I'd just like to get the following cleared up. Is the following true?

[tex]
\sum\limits_{k = 0}^N {r^k } = \frac{{1 - r^{N + 1} }}{{1 - r}}
[/tex]

There are other related things I am slightly worried about but I can't remember what they are at the moment so I might post them later. In the mean time, any verification of the above formula that I have quoted would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct :smile:

Ok thanks TD. I have another question and I realize that it usually depends on the convention adopted by the particular lecturer but other input shouldn't hurt. When we refer the the nth partial sum of a series. Do we take n >= 1? I mean with a series like [tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {a_n } [/tex] it makes sense to take n>=1 but it seems to get awkward when the summation is started at zero instead.

Anyway suppose that when we refer to the nth partial sum of a series we take n>=1 and that the Nth partial sum of the series I stated above is [tex]s_N = 1 + \frac{1}{{5^N }}[/tex]. Then is the Nth partial sum of the series [tex]\sum\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {a_n } [/tex] (I have replaced 1 by 2 as the starting index) [tex]s_N = \left( {1 + \frac{1}{{5^N }}} \right) + a_{N + 1} [/tex]. I just want to make sure of these things, I always screw up on relatively easy questions due to little technicalities.

Just one more question. If I recall correctly then: [tex]f\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {c_n \left( {x - a} \right)^n } \to f'\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {c_n n\left( {x - a} \right)^{n - 1} } [/tex]

So in differentiating the series above, an index shift was required. Ok but what about the following series?
[tex]
f\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n x^{2n + 1} }}{{\left( {2n + 1} \right)!}}} \to f'\left( x \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n x^{2n} }}{{\left( {2n} \right)!}}}
[/tex]

I find that only the first series that I quoted requires an index shift when I differentiate whereas other ones that I've encountered do not. Is there a reason for this?(I am aware of the first term in the first series being a constant and hence disappearing upon differentiation) Is it usually true that if you have a series for a function and you differentiate it inside the interval of convergence then no index shifts are required? Any help would be great.

Last edited:
An index change is never necessary; always optional. When differentiating power series, it is customary to change the index from 0 to 1 because the oth term is 0 anyway.

Thanks quasar, I see what you mean.

Related to Verifying Geometric Series Formula: \sum\limits_{k = 0}^N {r^k }

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number, called the common ratio. The general form of a geometric series is a + ar + ar2 + ar3 + ... + arn, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. What is the formula for the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for the sum of a geometric series is Sn = a(1 - rn+1) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

3. How do you verify the geometric series formula?

The geometric series formula can be verified by using mathematical induction, which involves proving that the formula works for the first term and then showing that if it works for a particular n, it also works for n+1. Another way to verify the formula is by using the sum of a finite geometric series formula and taking the limit as n approaches infinity.

4. What is the importance of the geometric series formula?

The geometric series formula is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. This has many practical applications, such as calculating compound interest in finance and determining the total distance traveled in a series of decreasing distances in physics.

5. What are the limitations of the geometric series formula?

The geometric series formula can only be used for series in which the common ratio is between -1 and 1. If the common ratio is outside of this range, the series will either diverge to infinity or oscillate between two values. Additionally, the formula can only be used for convergent series, meaning the sum of the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.