Verifying Force Calculation Methods: 1/2 mv^2 vs. m*a

In summary: That's a bit more complicated than just using the original equation. I don't think it would be a very reliable way to calculate forces.Yes, I suspected it was a bit of a shot in the dark.the speed you calculated was of the piston when it was at the midpoint of its travel. The v you need for that equation is a tangential velocity of something rotating at rate w and radius r. Moreover, the acceleration... is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. That's a bit more complicated than just using the original equation. I don't think it would be a very reliable
hidemi
Homework Statement
The motion of a piston in an auto engine is simple harmonic. If the piston travels back and forth over a distance of 10 cm, and the piston has a mass of 1.5 kg, what is the maximum speed of the piston and the maximum force acting on the piston when the engine is running at 4200 rpm?

Ansewer: 22 m/s, 14,500 N
Relevant Equations
KEi + Ui = KEf + Uf
1/2 m (rw)^2 = 1/2 m( vf)2
rw =V = 0.05* ( 4200*2π /60 )= 22

1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
1.5 * 22^2 = k * 0.05^2
k = 2.9 *10^5
F = kx = 2.9 *10^5 * 0.05 = 14,500
--------------------- (For the above calculation, I got the correct answer.)

I wonder whether we can use the method below to obtain force, which also leads me close to the correct answer?
a = rw^2 = 0.05* ( 4200*2π /60 )^2 = 9662.408
F = m* a = 1.5 * 9662.408 = 14,494

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: The motion of a piston in an auto engine is simple harmonic. If the piston travels back and forth over a distance of 10 cm, and the piston has a mass of 1.5 kg, what is the maximum speed of the piston and the maximum force acting on the piston when the engine is running at 4200 rpm?

Ansewer: 22 m/s, 14,500 N
Relevant Equations:: KEi + Ui = KEf + Uf

1/2 m (rw)^2 = 1/2 m( vf)2
rw =V = 0.05* ( 4200*2π /60 )= 22

1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
1.5 * 22^2 = k * 0.05^2
k = 2.9 *10^5
F = kx = 2.9 *10^5 * 0.05 = 14,500
--------------------- (For the above calculation, I got the correct answer.)

I wonder whether we can use the method below to obtain force, which also leads me close to the correct answer?
a = rw^2 = 0.05* ( 4200*2π /60 )^2 = 9662.408
F = m* a = 1.5 * 9662.408 = 14,494
Yes, it is a valid method if supported by the right argument. But you have not provided any reasoning, so it is not clear whether it was just a lucky guess.

I believe the only reason you got a slightly different answer is that in the first method you rounded the speed to 22m/s. If yiu had kept more digits you would have got more like the second result.

Btw, it is not actually SHM. The connecting rod follows the hypotenuse, which changes the algebra a bit.

Likes Delta2

haruspex said:
Yes, it is a valid method if supported by the right argument. But you have not provided any reasoning, so it is not clear whether it was just a lucky guess.

I believe the only reason you got a slightly different answer is that in the first method you rounded the speed to 22m/s. If yiu had kept more digits you would have got more like the second result.

Btw, it is not actually SHM. The connecting rod follows the hypotenuse, which changes the algebra a bit.
Thanks for your prompt response.
I think the question specifies that it is a simple harmonic motion in the beginning. If so, then both ways of calculating the force would be right?

hidemi said:

Thanks for your prompt response.
I think the question specifies that it is a simple harmonic motion in the beginning. If so, then both ways of calculating the force would be right?
Yes, I understand that the question tells you to treat it as SHM. Anyway, The questions asked relate to the extremes of motion, at which points it most closely approximates SHM. I was just pointing out that you should not be led to believing that the motion of a car piston really is SHM.

As I noted, whether your second method is valid depends on your reasoning for arriving at that equation. You have not provided that.

haruspex said:
Yes, I understand that the question tells you to treat it as SHM. Anyway, The questions asked relate to the extremes of motion, at which points it most closely approximates SHM. I was just pointing out that you should not be led to believing that the motion of a car piston really is SHM.

As I noted, whether your second method is valid depends on your reasoning for arriving at that equation. You have not provided that.
My reasoning for that alternative way for calculating the force is:
Since v= rw and a = rw^2, I used the calculated acceleration to get the force, just as I used the calculated velocity in my original calculation. I know this reasoning is quite weak, but is there a more physics way of explaining why it is reasonable?

hidemi said:
My reasoning for that alternative way for calculating the force is:
Since v= rw and a = rw^2, I used the calculated acceleration to get the force, just as I used the calculated velocity in my original calculation. I know this reasoning is quite weak, but is there a more physics way of explaining why it is reasonable?
Yes, I suspected it was a bit of a shot in the dark.
the speed you calculated was of the piston when it was at the midpoint of its travel. The v you need for that equation is a tangential velocity of something rotating at rate w and radius r. Moreover, the acceleration you are trying to calculate will be at the extreme of the piston's motion, when its velocity is zero.
To understand how to justify your algeb, consider what the other end of the conrod is connected to.

haruspex said:
Yes, I suspected it was a bit of a shot in the dark.
the speed you calculated was of the piston when it was at the midpoint of its travel. The v you need for that equation is a tangential velocity of something rotating at rate w and radius r. Moreover, the acceleration you are trying to calculate will be at the extreme of the piston's motion, when its velocity is zero.
To understand how to justify your algeb, consider what the other end of the conrod is connected to.
I guess I calculated the maximum of the speed, as I think of the equations for SHM.
x = A *sin(wt)
v = Aw *cos(wt), from this I obtain Vmax. Not sure if I blurred your focus.

hidemi said:
I guess I calculated the maximum of the speed, as I think of the equations for SHM.
x = A *sin(wt)
v = Aw *cos(wt), from this I obtain Vmax. Not sure if I blurred your focus.
I have no objection to the way you found Vmax. The issue is how to justify the equation you used for max acceleration.
To use ##r\omega^2## you need something of radius r rotating at rate ##\omega##. What is it, and how does it produce that acceleration for the piston?

haruspex said:
I have no objection to the way you found Vmax. The issue is how to justify the equation you used for max acceleration.
To use ##r\omega^2## you need something of radius r rotating at rate ##\omega##. What is it, and how does it produce that acceleration for the piston?
I would just continue to derive: a = - Aw^2 *sin(wt)
Thus, I would then get the maximum force by F= m*a = m (Aw^2)
How about that?

hidemi said:
I would just continue to derive: a = - Aw^2 *sin(wt)
Thus, I would then get the maximum force by F= m*a = m (Aw^2)
How about that?
Yes, that works.
But you had rw^2, not Aw^2, implying some radius.
The answer I was looking for is that the piston is connected by the conrod to a crankshaft. The 10cm travel of the piston arises because the crankshaft turns the confod joint through a circle of radius 5cm. The max velocity is when when the conrod subtends a right angle at the centre of the crankshaft, but the max acceleration is when it is in line with that.

Just a different point of view:
The ##V_{piston}=0## condition at the top and bottom dead centers of the engine does not depend on the angular velocity or radius of the crankshaft.
Being a reciprocating machine, it must be like that as much for fast engines as for slow rotating ones.

The force on the face of the piston determines the magnitude of the velocity of the piston at the middle point of the stroke, as well as the time that it will take reaching that velocity.
Therefore, the max acceleration should be greater for an engine of short stroke, if compared to another engine of long stroke, both being able to sustain the same angular velocity of the crankshaft.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_centre_(engineering)

http://animatedengines.com/twostroke.html

Thank you all for your detailed/professional explanations!

Related to Verifying Force Calculation Methods: 1/2 mv^2 vs. m*a

1. What is the difference between the "1/2 mv^2" and "m*a" force calculation methods?

The "1/2 mv^2" method, also known as the kinetic energy method, calculates the force of an object by using its mass and velocity. The "m*a" method, also known as the Newton's second law method, calculates the force of an object by using its mass and acceleration. The main difference between these two methods is that the "1/2 mv^2" method takes into account the object's velocity, while the "m*a" method takes into account the object's acceleration.

2. Which method is more accurate for calculating force?

Both methods are accurate for calculating force, but they are used in different situations. The "1/2 mv^2" method is useful for calculating the force of objects in motion, while the "m*a" method is useful for calculating the force of objects at rest or in uniform motion.

3. Can these two methods be used interchangeably?

No, these two methods cannot be used interchangeably. They are based on different principles and are used in different scenarios. Using the wrong method can result in inaccurate calculations.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of these force calculation methods?

The accuracy of these force calculation methods can be verified through experimentation and comparing the calculated results to real-world observations. It is also important to ensure that the correct method is used for the specific situation.

5. Are there any limitations to these force calculation methods?

Yes, there are limitations to these force calculation methods. The "1/2 mv^2" method assumes that the object is in motion and neglects factors such as air resistance. The "m*a" method assumes that the object is at rest or in uniform motion and neglects factors such as varying acceleration. It is important to consider these limitations when using these methods for calculations.