Ventilation (concept problem),

• Thread starter jeremy22511
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ventilation
In summary, the reason behind breathing more fiercely during vigorous exercise is due to the medulla oblongata sensing the increase in blood CO2 concentration. While one reference book may suggest otherwise, the correct answer is still the first option. This is because the medulla oblongata is alerted by a decrease in pH caused by dissolved CO2, leading to changes in breathing.
jeremy22511
Ventilation (concept problem), please help

We breathe more fiercely when we do vigorous exercise. But what is the reason behind?

(1) The medulla oblongata senses the increase in blood CO2 concentration.
(2) The receptors in our skeletal muscles send nerve impulses to the brain.

My textbook says (1) is the correct answer, but one of my reference books tells me otherwise...

Biology news on Phys.org

jeremy22511 said:
We breathe more fiercely when we do vigorous exercise. But what is the reason behind?

(1) The medulla oblongata senses the increase in blood CO2 concentration.
(2) The receptors in our skeletal muscles send nerve impulses to the brain.

My textbook says (1) is the correct answer, but one of my reference books tells me otherwise...

It's the first.
Dissolved CO_2 turns into carbonic acid and a decrease in pH alerts your medulla, which fundamentally alters breathing
I'm not sure about the second one, but it would have to do with obtaining oxygen to produce the energy. I would still go with the first.

As a scientist, it is important to consider multiple sources of information and critically evaluate the evidence presented. In this case, both options (1) and (2) have some scientific basis and could potentially contribute to the increase in breathing during vigorous exercise. However, the medulla oblongata is responsible for regulating breathing and detecting changes in blood CO2 levels, making it a more likely explanation for the increase in breathing during exercise. It is also supported by the fact that breathing rate increases even when exercising in environments with normal oxygen levels, indicating that it is not solely driven by the need for more oxygen. Therefore, while it is important to consider different perspectives, it is important to critically evaluate the evidence and rely on the most reliable and scientifically supported explanation.

Related to Ventilation (concept problem),

1. What is ventilation?

Ventilation refers to the process of exchanging or replacing air in a closed space, such as a room or building, to maintain indoor air quality and regulate temperature and humidity levels.

2. Why is ventilation important?

Ventilation is important because it helps to remove stale air, odors, and pollutants from a space, and brings in fresh air from the outside. This helps to maintain a healthy and comfortable indoor environment.

3. How does ventilation work?

Ventilation can occur naturally through open windows and doors, or through mechanical systems such as fans and air conditioning units. It works by creating air flow that brings in fresh air and removes stale air from a space.

4. What are the types of ventilation systems?

The two main types of ventilation systems are natural ventilation and mechanical ventilation. Natural ventilation relies on airflow through windows, doors, and other openings, while mechanical ventilation uses fans, ducts, and other equipment to circulate air.

5. How does ventilation impact indoor air quality?

Ventilation plays a crucial role in maintaining good indoor air quality. Without proper ventilation, pollutants such as dust, allergens, and chemicals can build up in a space, which can lead to health issues and discomfort for occupants.