Velocity with negative acceleration

In summary, the train has a velocity of 20 m/s and a deceleration of -1 m/s2. The displacement at t = 40s is unknown, but it is likely not 0m due to the fast velocity and slow deceleration. The initial position is 0m and the final position is unknown. After 20 seconds, the train will have a velocity of -20 m/s. The equation for displacement is displacement = velocity x time without regard for acceleration. However, if the negative acceleration continues for the entire 40 seconds, the train will come to a stop at 20 seconds and then move backwards.
PhysicsBoyMan

Homework Statement

Train goes 20 m/s
Brakes cause a = -1 m/s2
Displacement at t = 40s ?

Homework Equations

v = 20 m/s
a = -1 m/s2
t = 40s

The Attempt at a Solution

image.jpg

image upload no limit

It seemed like this formula fit perfectly. It had all of the known variables and the one unknown neatly out front.

The velocity is too fast and the deceleration too slow for the displacement to be 0m.

The only thing I could think of was that my delta x should have data but the initial position is 0 and the final position is unknown.

I can't imagine where such a simple problem went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If every second the train is going 1 m/s slower than it was the previous second how fast is it going after 20 seconds? Does that help?

Likes PhysicsBoyMan
AndrewHolowack said:
If every second the train is going 1 m/s slower than it was the previous second how fast is it going after 20 seconds? Does that help?
Is it really that simple though?

The first part of my equation is displacement = velocity x time without regard for acceleration. Before deceleration the train would go 800m.

I'm not sure how to represent your idea mathematically. Going -1 m/s2 x 40s doesn't seem right to me.

Your equation is right, and so is your answer if you assume that the negative acceleration continues for the entire 40 seconds. At 20 seconds the train comes to a stop and then begins to move backwards. At 40 seconds the train is back were you began with a velocity of -20 m/s. They way the question is worded you could argue that the train will simply come to a stop at 20 seconds.

Related to Velocity with negative acceleration

What is velocity with negative acceleration?

Velocity with negative acceleration is a type of motion where an object is moving in the opposite direction of its acceleration. This means that the object is slowing down as it moves.

How is velocity with negative acceleration calculated?

Velocity with negative acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This gives the average velocity over a specific time period.

What is the difference between velocity with negative acceleration and velocity with positive acceleration?

The main difference between these two types of velocity is the direction of motion. Velocity with positive acceleration means an object is speeding up, while velocity with negative acceleration means an object is slowing down.

What are some real-life examples of velocity with negative acceleration?

Some common examples of velocity with negative acceleration include a car braking, a ball rolling up a hill, or a skydiver opening their parachute. These are all situations where the object is slowing down due to the force of gravity or other external forces.

How can velocity with negative acceleration be graphically represented?

Velocity with negative acceleration can be graphically represented by a line with a negative slope on a velocity-time graph. This indicates that the velocity is decreasing over time, showing the object's deceleration.