Velocity versus distance graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to a problem involving the velocity and acceleration of a particle moving along the x-axis. The person asking for help has limited knowledge of differential equations and is studying motion in a straight line. The solution to the problem is given as 4x-8, but no explanation is provided. ChetSir guides them by asking for the equation for velocity and its derivative, and the person responds with their attempts and ultimately gets the solution with ChetSir's help.
sylwesh98

Homework Statement

the velocity of a particle moving along x-axis varies with its position x as shown in figure. The acceleration of a particle varies with position as !

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you've analyzed the problem so far, please. Are you studying differential equations now?

Chet

Sir ,
I've tried the sum according to the following attachment .
Actually I have very less knowledge of differential equations.
I came across this problem when I'm studying motion in a straight line chapter.
The answer given is 4x-8
But no solution is given.
Please help me sir.
Thanks in advance!
I just wanted to know how to do the sum!

Attachments

• 1409183219621.jpg
    1409183219621.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 1409183230383.jpg
    1409183230383.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 519
  • 1409183242112.jpg
    1409183242112.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 539
sylwesh98 said:
Sir ,
I've tried the sum according to the following attachment .
Actually I have very less knowledge of differential equations.
I came across this problem when I'm studying motion in a straight line chapter.
The answer given is 4x-8
But no solution is given.
Please help me sir.
Thanks in advance!
I just wanted to know how to do the sum!
OK, from the graph, what is the equation for the velocity v as a function of the distance x? (This is the first step in obtaining the solution).

Chet

V=-2x+4

Even after trying with that equation I can't get the solution

sylwesh98 said:
V=-2x+4
Take the derivative of this equation with respect to time. What do you get? How is dv/dt related to the acceleration. How is dx/dt related to the velocity?

Chet

I got a=-2v and v = -2x +4 and solving them I got the answer
thank you sir!

Related to Velocity versus distance graph

What is a velocity versus distance graph?

A velocity versus distance graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's velocity and the distance it has traveled. The velocity is typically shown on the y-axis and the distance on the x-axis.

How is velocity calculated on a velocity versus distance graph?

Velocity is calculated by finding the slope of the line on the graph. The slope represents the change in distance over the change in time, which is the definition of velocity. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity of the object.

What can a velocity versus distance graph tell us about an object's motion?

A velocity versus distance graph can tell us about the speed and direction of an object's motion. It can also show us if the object is accelerating, decelerating, or moving at a constant velocity.

How does the shape of a velocity versus distance graph indicate an object's motion?

If the graph has a positive slope, it means the object is moving in a positive direction and increasing in velocity. If the slope is negative, the object is moving in a negative direction and decreasing in velocity. A flat line indicates a constant velocity, and a curved line indicates changing velocity.

What are some real-world applications of a velocity versus distance graph?

A velocity versus distance graph is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects, such as vehicles, projectiles, and machines. It is also used in sports, such as track and field, to track an athlete's speed and progress. Additionally, it can be used in transportation planning to optimize travel times and routes.