Velocity of Transverse Waves problem

In summary, the two children are sending signals along a cord with a total mass of 0.54 kg and a tension of 37 N. It takes the vibrations 0.53 s to go from one child to the other. Using the formula for the velocity of a transverse wave on a cord, the distance between the children is 19.246 meters. This is found by replacing the length of the cord with the distance between the children in the equation and solving for d.
rusty65

Homework Statement

Two children are sending signals along a cord of total mass 0.54 kg tied between tin cans with a tension of 37 N. It takes the vibrations in the string 0.53 s to go from one child to the other. How far apart are the children?

Express your answer using two significant figures

Homework Equations

Velocity of transverse wave on a cord = sqrt(F_t/[itex]\mu[/itex])
F_t = Tension Force
[itex]\mu[/itex] = mass per unit length -> m/l

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted plugging the given values into the formula for velocity of a transverse wave on a cord, and came up with a distance of 4.387 meters. However, after getting the problem wrong (on masterphysics) I realized that the mass given for the cord is its total mass rather than mass per unit length. Seeing as what I am asked to find is the distance between the children (length of the cord) I don't see any way of solving this problem. Am i simply missing the proper formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello rusty65! :smile:

The mass per unit length, as you've written in your relevant equations is m/l. Putting this into the velocity equation and multiplying by time,

[itex]vt = t\sqrt{\frac{lF}{{m}}}[/itex]

What is "vt" in that above equation? :wink:

vt is equal to the distance, but the trouble I am having is that the distance, d, that i am attempting to find is equal to the length of the string, l. So i must either be using the wrong formula, or some key piece of information is escaping me.

This is where I am at right now, using the information given:

d = t√((F_t * l)/m) ---plugged in----> d = 0.53√(37l/0.54)

So I've still got two unknowns, d and l, which, according to the wording of the problem, seem to me to be equal to one another. :confused:

Scratch that, I figured it out!

Since d = l, I replaced l with d in the equation.

d = 0.53sqrt(37l/0.54) ---> d = 0.53sqrt(37d/0.54)
d/sqrt(d) = 0.53sqrt(37/0.54) ---> d/sqrt(d) = 4.387
d/sqrt(d) = d^(1/2) ---> sqrt(d) = 4.387
d = (4.387)^2
d = 19.246!

Took me a while to get it through my thick head, but I got it now. And thanks for the help!

rusty65 said:
Scratch that, I figured it out!

Since d = l, I replaced l with d in the equation.

d = 0.53sqrt(37l/0.54) ---> d = 0.53sqrt(37d/0.54)
d/sqrt(d) = 0.53sqrt(37/0.54) ---> d/sqrt(d) = 4.387
d/sqrt(d) = d^(1/2) ---> sqrt(d) = 4.387
d = (4.387)^2
d = 19.246!

Took me a while to get it through my thick head, but I got it now. And thanks for the help!

Yep! That is what I was suggesting. Good to see you figured it out :smile:

Related to Velocity of Transverse Waves problem

1. What is the definition of velocity of transverse waves?

The velocity of transverse waves is the speed at which the wave travels through a medium, measured in meters per second (m/s). It is the distance traveled by the wave divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. How is the velocity of transverse waves calculated?

The velocity of transverse waves is calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave with the same displacement, while the period is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave.

3. What factors affect the velocity of transverse waves?

The velocity of transverse waves is affected by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. It is also affected by the frequency and amplitude of the wave.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and velocity of transverse waves?

The velocity of transverse waves is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave. This means that as the frequency increases, the velocity also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the velocity of transverse waves differ from the velocity of longitudinal waves?

The velocity of transverse waves is different from the velocity of longitudinal waves because they travel through the medium in different ways. Transverse waves have a perpendicular displacement to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves have a parallel displacement. Therefore, different equations are used to calculate their velocities.