Velocity of high temperature hydrogen atom

In summary: So it is theoretically possible for it to fuse into helium. But the process is incredibly difficult and requires a lot of energy.
timbot
What is the relative velocity of two hydrogen atoms colliding head on at a temperature of 10 million Kelvin?

How do you calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
timmy-welcome to pf!

hi timbot! timmy-welcome to pf! :smile:
timbot said:
What is the relative velocity of two hydrogen atoms colliding head on at a temperature of 10 million Kelvin?

How do you calculate this?

You find the actual velocity of one atom, and then double it (or use the formula 2v/(1 + v2) if v is near the speed of light). :wink:

To convert temperature into electron volts, use the Boltzmann constant k = 8.617 x 10-5 eV per degree Kelvin.

Bob S said:
To convert temperature into electron volts, use the Boltzmann constant k = 8.617 x 10-5 eV per degree Kelvin.

people often memorize it the other way around: 1 eV = 11605 Kelvin.

Many thanks folks. But what is, say, 1000 ev in terms of a relative speed of two head on hydrogen atoms in kilometers per hour?

Maybe this sounds a stupid question, but it seems that nobody has asked this question before. My guess this velocity is not very high.

timbot said:
Many thanks folks. But what is, say, 1000 ev in terms of a relative speed of two head on hydrogen atoms in kilometers per hour?

Maybe this sounds a stupid question, but it seems that nobody has asked this question before. My guess this velocity is not very high.

Mass of a hydrogen atom is roughly 1 GeV. 1000 eV is much less than 1 GeV, so we know that the atom is non-relativistic and we can use a non-relativistic formula for kinetic energy

mv^2/2 = 1000 eV
mc^2 = 1 GeV

-> v^2 / c^2 = 2*10^-6

v = 0.0014*c ~ 400 km/s

Relative velocity of one atom wrt the other is double that.

Fantastic!

Lets go over this again.

The temperature of hydrogen at 10 million Kelvin is when it begins to fuse into helium in a Tokomak.

1ev is 11605 kelvin.

10 million Kelvin is 861.7 electron volts

For 1000 eV (slightly higher) the relative velocity for head on fusion is 800 km/s.

This is 48000 km/minute or 2,880,000 km/hour.

That'a a shame. If that figure was three zeros less I was thinking that plasma fusion would be possible by firing two jets of hydrogen plasma directly into each other.

Maybe there is a probabilistic "fix" on this? All we need is a small proportion to fuse.

Hi Timbot-
Two deuterons might fuse, but two protons will never fuse. There is no bound state of two protons.
Bob S

This shows my lack of knowledge of physics. I suppose with all this talk of fusing hydrogen, the term they should really use is fusing deutronium?

At the expense of straining everyones patience, I have an additional question.

What then is the energy required (no doubt measured in electron volts) to fuse deutronium nuclei into helium?

From this we can go back to the exercise of calculating the head-on relative velocity of two deutronium atoms in kilometers per hour necessary for them to fuse into hydrogen.

I am just hoping that with twice the mass of the nucleus this velocity is in the feasible region.

Correction to what I wrote above. "...fuse into helium." is what I should have written in the second last paragraph.

And yes, deuterium, with a proton and neutron nucleus, has twice the mass of a hydrogen nucleus.

Related to Velocity of high temperature hydrogen atom

1. What is the velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom?

The velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom can vary, but it is typically around 4000 meters per second. This is much faster than the average velocity of a hydrogen atom at room temperature, which is around 1800 meters per second.

2. How does the velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom affect its behavior?

The high velocity of a hydrogen atom at high temperatures can affect its behavior in several ways. It can increase the atom's kinetic energy, making it more reactive and likely to participate in chemical reactions. It can also make the atom more likely to escape from a gas or liquid environment.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom?

Several factors can influence the velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom. These include the temperature of the environment, the mass of the atom, and the presence of any external forces or collisions.

4. How is the velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom measured?

The velocity of a high temperature hydrogen atom can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy or particle accelerators. These methods involve analyzing the energy and movement of the atom to determine its velocity.

5. Why is it important to study the velocity of high temperature hydrogen atoms?

Studying the velocity of high temperature hydrogen atoms is important for understanding the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures and in different environments. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of atoms and their role in chemical reactions and physical processes.