Velocity of compressed air through pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving an airsoft rifle and the velocity of air exiting the second regulator. There are uncertainties around the temperature, density, and pressure of the air, as well as the diameter of the barrel and air pipe. The conversation suggests starting at the barrel end to determine the velocity of the air.
rcummings89
This started out as a thought experiment and then I realized I was stuck in how to figure it out.

If I have an airsoft rifle that uses compressed air in the tank at 3000 psi. It leaves the bottle regulated down to 800 psi. It then goes into a second regulator that reduces the pressure further down to 40 psi. I want to know what the velocity is when the air exits the second regulator. For the purposes of my thought experiment let's say it goes into a .25" diameter tube and vents into the atmosphere.

At the reservoir I think I can assume the temperature is room temp, but after the two regulators I don't where to go and I don't think I can calculate the density without it to use Bernoulli's equation. I think I have too many unknowns?

Physics news on Phys.org
So the second regulator feeds into the trigger , which when pulled releases the air , which pushes the slug down the barrel ??

It might be best to start at the barrel end , you know the velocity of the slug exiting the barrel ... , that's the velocity of the air leaving the barrel ... at what pressure ?? ...dia of barrel ... dia of air pipe ... many unknowns ..

Related to Velocity of compressed air through pipe

1. What is the velocity of compressed air through a pipe?

The velocity of compressed air through a pipe can vary depending on factors such as the pipe diameter, air pressure, and flow rate. It can range anywhere from a few feet per second to hundreds of feet per second.

2. How is the velocity of compressed air through a pipe calculated?

The velocity of compressed air through a pipe can be calculated using the equation v = Q/A, where v is the velocity, Q is the flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

3. How does the diameter of a pipe affect the velocity of compressed air?

The diameter of a pipe directly affects the velocity of compressed air. A smaller diameter pipe will have a higher velocity, while a larger diameter pipe will have a lower velocity, assuming all other factors remain constant.

4. Can the velocity of compressed air through a pipe be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of compressed air through a pipe can be controlled by adjusting factors such as the pressure and flow rate. Additionally, using devices such as valves and nozzles can also help regulate the velocity of compressed air.

5. What impact does air pressure have on the velocity of compressed air through a pipe?

Air pressure plays a significant role in determining the velocity of compressed air through a pipe. Higher air pressure will result in a higher velocity, while lower air pressure will lead to a lower velocity. This relationship is described by the Bernoulli's principle.