Velocity of a slider in magnetic field

In summary: Regarding the energy balance part , QE - ∫i2Rdt =(1/2)mv2 + Q2/(2C) ?The energy balance part is QE - ∫i2Rdt =(1/2)mv2 + Q2/(2C) .The energy balance part is QE - ∫i2Rdt =(1/2)mv2 + Q2/(2C) .
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

problem.jpg

choice.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As soon as switch S is closed , a current would flow in the circuit and the capacitor would act like a conducting wire . Force F =ilB towards right will act on the slider . There will be an acceleration but the velocity of the slider will be 0 .

Is the question correct ?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 719
  • choice.jpg
    choice.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
There will be an acceleration but the velocity of the slider will be 0 .
That would be true if self induction were not ignored.

Hint: Apply impulse-momentum theorem.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
That would be true if self induction were not ignored.

Hint: Apply impulse-momentum theorem.

Why would there be an impulsive force on the slider ? Since self induction is ignored there would be an immediate current flowing through the slider resulting in a force in right direction . This force will be there till current flows . It is not an impulsive force . No ?

Jahnavi said:
Since self induction is ignored there would be an immediate current flowing through the slider resulting in a force in right direction . This force will be there till current flows . It is not an impulsive force . No ?
It is an impulsive force. The current flows for a very short time ( ideally zero, practically very small) since there is no resistance.

Likes Jahnavi
And this large current i for a very brief duration ∆t charges the capacitor to a value Q =i∆t ?

When the question asks to ignore self inductance , it asks to ignore motional emf of magnitude Blv generated in the slider ?

Jahnavi said:
And this large current i for a very brief duration ∆t charges the capacitor to a value Q =i∆t ?
Right.
Jahnavi said:
When the question asks to ignore self inductance , it asks to ignore motional emf of magnitude Blv generated in the slider ?
No, it asks to ignore the self inductance of the loop.

cnh1995 said:

Aren't we neglecting motional emf developed across the ends of the slider ?

What would happen if self inductance of the loop is not ignored ?

Jahnavi said:
Aren't we neglecting motional emf developed across the ends of the
For the initial brief time Δt, we are ignoring the motional emf ,as Δt→0.

Jahnavi said:
What would happen if self inductance of the loop is not ignored ?
It will be a second-order circuit and the initial current will be zero. It gets mathematically complicated.

cnh1995 said:

By self induction , you mean dΦ/dt i.e rate of change of flux ?

Jahnavi said:
By self induction , you mean dΦ/dt i.e rate of change of flux ?
Well, when the slider "starts" moving, we can't ignore the rate of change of flux i.e. the motional emf which is the result of self induction. And I think when they asked to ignore self induction, they meant ignore motional emf for that initial brief time.

What I had in mind was the self inductance (or stray inductance) of the loop when the slider is at rest, which is purely geometrical.

Likes Jahnavi
Then you agree with later part of post#5 .No ?

I have another question quite similar to this one .

problem1.jpg
Writing KVL at any time t ,

E - iR -Bvl - Q/C =0 .

Is this the correct equation ? And more importantly is this the way to solve this problem ?

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 588
Jahnavi said:
Yes. The interval Δt is so small that we can assume the velocity transition from 0 to vinitial is instantaneous.
Jahnavi said:
Ok, but did you get the answer to the first one?

Option B .

Likes cnh1995
Jahnavi said:

View attachment 214168Writing KVL at any time t ,

E - iR -Bvl - Q/C =0 .

Is this the correct equation ? And more importantly is this the way to solve this problem ?
You can convert it into a DE and solve for the general time domain solution, but in this case, it is not necessary.

The problem asks for the charge after a long time, which means the circuit will have reached steady state by then. What is the steady state scenario here? What can you say about the energy balance in steady state?

cnh1995 said:
What is the steady state scenario here? What can you say about the energy balance in steady state?

There will be no current in the circuit . Slider will move with a constant speed v towards right . A constant motional emf Bvl will develop across the slider .KVL around the loop would be E - Bvl - Q/C = 0 . Right ?

But v is not known .

Regarding the energy balance part , QE - ∫i2Rdt =(1/2)mv2 + Q2/(2C) ?

But how do we calculate the second term i.e amount of electrical energy dissipated in the resistor ?

Last edited:
Edit: Erroneous post deleted.

Last edited:
It will be better if I make a new thread for the second problem .

Thanks a lot for your help .

Last edited:
Your reasoning for the steady state is correct.
cnh1995 said:
And when the two energy storing elements are different, energy associated with both of them is same.
Hmm, I take this statement back. That's not true. o:) It is true only when there's no dissipation. Sorry for that!
Actually, you don't need energy at all.
You can solve it in a much simpler way.

First, set up the force balance equation, in terms of velocity and charge.

Likes Jahnavi
Yeah . It is much simpler than I thought :)

Thanks again .

Related to Velocity of a slider in magnetic field

1. What is the velocity of a slider in a magnetic field?

The velocity of a slider in a magnetic field is the speed at which the slider moves in a given direction under the influence of the magnetic field.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a slider in a magnetic field?

The velocity of a slider in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the mass and charge of the slider, and the direction and orientation of the magnetic field lines.

3. How is the velocity of a slider in a magnetic field calculated?

The velocity of a slider in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula v = qB/m, where v is the velocity, q is the charge of the slider, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the slider.

4. Can the velocity of a slider in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the velocity of a slider in a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength or direction of the magnetic field, or by changing the mass or charge of the slider.

5. What is the significance of the velocity of a slider in a magnetic field?

The velocity of a slider in a magnetic field is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of charged particles in magnetic fields, and has many practical applications in fields such as electronics, transportation, and medical imaging.