Velocity function of a variable force

In summary, the problem involves a particle with a mass of 3kg at rest at x = 3m, and a force of (12 N/m)x is applied to it. Using the equation \sum F = ma, the acceleration of the particle is found to be 20 m/s^2. To determine the v(t) for the particle, the equation \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} =v \frac{dv}{dx} is used, and after integration, the general solution is found to be x = C_1 e^(2 t) + C_2 e^(-2 t), with lambda as the solution to the auxiliary equation, and v(t) = 2C_
Piamedes

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass of 3kg is at rest at x = 3m, and then a force = (12 N/m)x is applied to it. What is the acceleration of the particle when it reaches x = 5m? Determine the v(t) for the particle.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\sum F = ma
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was simple. I just solved for acceleration and got the same answer as the book, 20 m/s^2. However there was no answer for the second part so I want to know if I solved for v(t) properly.

[tex]
a = (4 \frac {1}{s^2}) x
[/tex]

[tex]
a = \frac {d^2x} {dt^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} - (4 \frac {1}{s^2}) x = 0
[/tex]

Which is just a 2nd order differential equation, whose general solution is:
[tex]
x = C_1 e^(\lambda_1 t) + C_2 e^(\lambda_2 t)
[/tex]

Where lambda is the solution to the auxiliary equation,
[tex]
\lambda^2 - 4\lambda = 0
[/tex]

Therefore
[tex]
x = C_1 e^(2 t) + C_2 e^(-2 t)
[/tex]

and v(t) is
[tex]
v = 2 C_1 e^(2 t) - 2 C_2 e^(-2 t)
[/tex]

The problem stipulates that at x=3m, v=0, so when if I set t=0 at x=3m, then I can solve for C1 and C2
[tex]
3 = C_1 + C_2
[/tex]

[tex]
0 = 2 C_1 - 2 C_2
[/tex]

[tex]
C_1 = \frac {3}{2} and C_2 = \frac {-3}{2}
[/tex]

So v(t) becomes
[tex]
v = (3 \frac {m}{s}) ( e^(2 t) + e^(-2 t) )
[/tex]

Then I wanted to make it look nicer so I rewrote it as:
[tex]
v = (6 \frac {m}{s}) \cosh {(2 \frac {1}{s} t)}
[/tex]

Is this the proper solution to the question?
If not could someone please explain to me how to get the correct one. Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Piamedes,

Piamedes said:

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass of 3kg is at rest at x = 3m, and then a force = (12 N/m)x is applied to it. What is the acceleration of the particle when it reaches x = 5m? Determine the v(t) for the particle.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\sum F = ma
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was simple. I just solved for acceleration and got the same answer as the book, 20 m/s^2. However there was no answer for the second part so I want to know if I solved for v(t) properly.

[tex]
a = (4 \frac {1}{s^2}) x
[/tex]

[tex]
a = \frac {d^2x} {dt^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} - (4 \frac {1}{s^2}) x = 0
[/tex]

Since the problem involves v and x, I would write

[tex]
\frac {d^2x} {dt^2}
[/tex]

in a form that does not have t in it:

[tex]
\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} =v \frac{dv}{dx}
[/tex]

Then you can integrate over v and x directly. (But you might also want to drop the (1/s^2) that is inside your equation.)

I tried doing that at first, but since the problem required v as a function of time when I integrated again to solve for x as a function of t it came out to
[tex]
\ln [x + \sqrt{x^2 - 9}] = 2 t
[/tex]

So when I tried solving for x it I lost the +/- portion of the square. I went back and used the general solution because it seemed easier than trying to figure out a mistake in my page of algebra work.

Does doing it different ways yield different answers?

Piamedes said:
I tried doing that at first, but since the problem required v as a function of time when I integrated again to solve for x as a function of t it came out to
[tex]
\ln [x + \sqrt{x^2 - 9}] = 2 t
[/tex]

So when I tried solving for x it I lost the +/- portion of the square. I went back and used the general solution because it seemed easier than trying to figure out a mistake in my page of algebra work.

Does doing it different ways yield different answers?

I'm not sure I understand what happened, but different way should definitely give the same answer.

Looking over your original post, I think your values for C1 and C2 are incorrect. Your second equation for them is:

[tex]
0=2 C_1 - 2 C_2
[/tex]
so they must be equal.

oops. I solved it all the way through to the end and messed up some algebra.
Its should be
[tex]
C_1 = C_2 = \frac {3}{2}
[/tex]

Which means that
[tex]
x = (\frac {3}{2} \frac {m}{s}) (e^(2 t) + e^(-2 t) ) = (\frac {3}{2} \frac {m}{s}) \cosh {(2t)}
[/tex]

[tex]
x = (3 \frac{m}{s}) (e^(2 t) - e^(-2 t) ) = (3 \frac {m}{s}) \sinh {(2t)}
[/tex]

[tex]
a = (6 \frac {m}{s}) (e^(2 t) + e^(-2 t) ) = (6 \frac {m}{s}) \cosh {(2t)}
[/tex]

And if I check from the original equation
[tex]
a = 4x
[/tex]

[tex]
a = 4 ( (\frac {3}{2} \frac {m}{s}) \cosh {(2t)} ) = 4x
[/tex]

By showing that my solution fits the given parameters, is that proof that the answer is correct or am I still missing something.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Piamedes said:
oops. I solved it all the way through to the end and messed up some algebra.
Its should be
[tex]
C_1 = C_2 = \frac {3}{2}
[/tex]

Which means that
[tex]
x = (\frac {3}{2} \frac {m}{s}) (e^(2 t) + e^(-2 t) ) = (\frac {3}{2} \frac {m}{s}) \cosh {(2t)}
[/tex]

You have a small error here. Notice that the exponential form gives x=3 at t=0, while the cosh from doesn't.

Thanks for catching that error. I must have forgotten to factor out the 1/2 when I transformed it into cosh.

It should be
[tex]
x = (3 \frac {m}{s}) \cosh {(2t)}
[/tex]

Thanks for the help.

Sure, glad to help! (And the way you put all the details of your work in your posts definitely made it easy to read through.)

Related to Velocity function of a variable force

1. What is the velocity function of a variable force?

The velocity function of a variable force is a mathematical expression that describes the rate of change of an object's velocity as a function of time, when the force acting on the object is not constant.

2. How is the velocity function of a variable force different from a regular velocity function?

A regular velocity function describes the rate of change of an object's velocity when the force acting on the object is constant, while the velocity function of a variable force takes into account changes in the force acting on the object over time.

3. What factors affect the velocity function of a variable force?

The velocity function of a variable force is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the object. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

4. How is the velocity function of a variable force calculated?

The velocity function of a variable force is calculated using the principles of calculus, specifically the derivative of the force function with respect to time. This yields the acceleration of the object, which can then be integrated to find the velocity function.

5. What real-life applications does the velocity function of a variable force have?

The velocity function of a variable force is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and predict the motion of objects under changing forces. It has practical applications in fields such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace engineering.