Vectors: check if coordinates are in the same plane

In summary, Math_QED found the equation of the ABC plane by taking the cross product of AB and AC vectors. Then taking the dot product of D and the plane equation. and checking if i get the same number as with the other points in the ABC plane.
terhje
Member warned that the homework template is required
Hello guys,

How can i check if coordinantes A,B,C and D are in the same plane? 3D space(x,y,z)

Can i take the cross product: AB x AC and check if its perpendicular to for example DC x DB. and then
check if the crossproducts are parallell? but i guess this can give me two parallell vectors in two different planes.

sorry to bother, but I am kinda lost.
Terhje

Physics news on Phys.org
terhje said:
Hello guys,

How can i check if coordinantes A,B,C and D are in the same plane? 3D space(x,y,z)

Can i take the cross product: AB x AC and check if its perpendicular to for example DC x DB. and then
check if the crossproducts are parallell? but i guess this can give me two parallell vectors in two different planes.

sorry to bother, but I am kinda lost.
Terhje

Well, the easiest approach is to consider the plane ABC (there is only one plane that goes through these three points) and then verify whether the point D satisfies the equation of the plane ABC.

Likes terhje
Thanks for the help, Math_QED,

I think I am at a solution. I found the equation of the ABC plane by taking the cross product of AB and AC vectors. Then taking the dot product of D and the plane equation. and checking if i get the same number as with the other points in the ABC plane.

terhje said:
Thanks for the help, Math_QED,

I think I am at a solution. I found the equation of the ABC plane by taking the cross product of AB and AC vectors. Then taking the dot product of D and the plane equation. and checking if i get the same number as with the other points in the ABC plane.
How can you take the dot product of D with any vector?

Is D a Vector? No. It is a point.

Likes terhje
Last edited:
Likes terhje
I can check if AD is perpendicular to ABxAC, by checking if the dot product goes to zero. I was thinking it would leave room for D beeing in a parallel plane, but AD can't be in a parallell plane cause A already is in the ABC plane. Meaning AB and AD can't both go to zero if D was in a parallel plane. Correct?

Appreciate the help.
Terje

Last edited:
terhje said:
I can check if AD is perpendicular to ABxAC, by checking if the dot product goes to zero. I was thinking it would leave room for D being in a parallel plane, but AD can't be in a parallel plane cause A already is in the ABC plane. Meaning AB and AD can't both go to zero if D was in a parallel plane. Correct?

Appreciate the help.
Terje
You have some run-on thoughts/questions. Let's separate them somewhat.

terhje said:
I can check if AD is perpendicular to ABxAC, by checking if the dot product goes to zero.
That works provided that the cross product is not zero. ( * More on this at the end of this post.)

terhje said:
I was thinking it would leave room for D being in a parallel plane, but AD can't be in a parallel plane cause A already is in the ABC plane.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Problem states that all four points lie in the same plane.

terhje said:
Meaning AB and AD can't both go to zero if D was in a parallel plane. Correct?
It's fair to assume that A, B, C, and D are all distinct points.

* Back to the first item above:
What is implied if ##\ \vec{AB}\times\vec{AC} \ ## is zero ?

Likes terhje
SammyS said:
What is implied if →AB×→AC \ \vec{AB}\times\vec{AC} \ is zero ?

That AB or AC or both are zero.

Ill just show you what i got so far, which i think is the correct solution.
Question:
Check if the following points, A(-1,3,4), B(0,5,7), R(0,3,6) and S(1,5,9) are in the same plane.

My solution:
making vectors, AB, AC and AD
AB= i+2j+3k
AC=i+2k
AD=2i+2j+5k
defining the ABC plane normal:
ABxAC = matrix(2,3;0,2)i - matrix(1,3;1,2)j + matrix(1,2;1,0)k
= 4i+j-2k = E

Checking if E*AD= 0.
4*2+1*2-2*5 = 8+2-10 = 0.

A,B,C and D are all in the same planeWhat i ment was that if you have a new vector EF, and EF*E = 0, then EF is perpendicular to E, but it can can still be in a parallel plane.
but since the plane is defined by ABC and AD*E=0, then it must be in the same plane.

Thank you for the help.
Terhje

Last edited:
terhje said:
That AB or AC or both are zero.
No !
If A, B, and C are distinct points, then neither AB or AC will be zero.

What can be concluded if the cross product of two non-zero vectors is zero ?

So, I ask again, what is implied if AB × AC = 0 ?

(I'll address the rest of your post when I get more time. There are inconsistencies and errors in it.)

Last edited:
Likes terhje
lol. AB x AC = 0 implies that the vectors are parallel! my norwegian mathbook said nothing about it. Had to look in a calculus book i ordered from the states that i haven't had time to go through yet.
fixed some typos.

terhje said:
lol. AB x AC = 0 implies that the vectors are parallel! my norwegian mathbook said nothing about it. Had to look in a calculus book i ordered from the states that i haven't had time to go through yet.
fixed some typos.
Yes. Specifically, the vectors point in the same direction or in opposite directions.

Since these are vectors construed with a point in common, the three points, A, B, and C must be co-linear.

In this case, what can you say about the four points?

terhje said:
Ill just show you what i got so far, which i think is the correct solution.
Question:
Check if the following points, A(-1,3,4), B(0,5,7), R(0,3,6) and S(1,5,9) are in the same plane.
In the following, you use the coordinates of R and S as coordinates of points C and D respectively.
terhje said:
My solution:
making vectors, AB, AC and AD
AB= i+2j+3k
AC=i+2k
AD=2i+2j+5k
defining the ABC plane normal:
ABxAC = matrix(2,3;0,2)i - matrix(1,3;1,2)j + matrix(1,2;1,0)k
= 4i+j-2k = E
Those should actually determinants of those matrices:
AB×AC = det(matrix(2,3;0,2))i - det(matrix(1,3;1,2))j + det(matrix(1,2;1,0))k​

Then you use E as a vector. That's perfectly acceptable as is what follows, up to the following.

terhje said:
What i meant was that if you have a new vector EF, and EF*E = 0, then EF is perpendicular to E, but it can can still be in a parallel plane.
but since the plane is defined by ABC and AD*E=0, then it must be in the same plane.
You have a vector called EF, which presumably is constricted from two new points, E and F. However, you are previously using E as the normal vector. Don't now also use E to refer to a point.

Even if you fix this double use of E, it's not clear what you mean.

Related to Vectors: check if coordinates are in the same plane

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction.

How do you check if coordinates are in the same plane?

To check if coordinates are in the same plane, you can use the cross product of two vectors. If the result is a zero vector, then the coordinates lie in the same plane.

What is the formula for the cross product of two vectors?

The formula for the cross product of two vectors, a and b, is a x b = |a||b|sinθn, where |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of the vectors, θ is the angle between them, and n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b.

Can two vectors be in the same plane if they have different magnitudes?

Yes, two vectors can be in the same plane even if they have different magnitudes. The only requirement is that the two vectors have the same direction or are parallel to each other.

What is the significance of vectors being in the same plane?

If two vectors are in the same plane, it means that they can be added or subtracted to form a new vector within that plane. This is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.