Vectors: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding Interactions

In summary, vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, and they are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity and force. They can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar to create new vectors. Understanding vector operations and properties is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering. Vectors also play a significant role in understanding the interactions between objects and forces in the physical world. By visualizing and manipulating vectors, one can gain a deeper understanding of how various forces act upon and move objects.
Nano-Passion
I want to learn about vectors and their interactions from a more rigorous viewpoint. Things like the cross product for example are covered very superficially in the textbooks I've looked at.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? I learned about dot products and cross products in linear algebra. A textbook on that maybe? Or perhaps a book on vector calculus.

Mmm_Pasta said:
What do you mean? I learned about dot products and cross products in linear algebra. A textbook on that maybe? Or perhaps a book on vector calculus.
I just mean that I want to study things like the vector product in more detail.

Okay, I'll take a look into some linear algebra books and a couple vector calculus books here and there.

Nano-Passion said:
I just mean that I want to study things like the vector product in more detail.
and there.

The notion of "product" and of "vector" can appear in many contexts. In your journey of learning you will find out which contexts are more appealing to you.

As suggested above, two elementary contexts in which these two notions appear are Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus. Any textbook treats these subjects will be a good resource for you. Which textbook to choose is a matter of taste and also the level of knowledge you already have.

My personal preference for linear algebra is Kunze and Hoffman text titled "Linear Algebra". Inner products (The generalization of dot product) are treated in chapter 8. The text is a bit abstract but clear and accessible to undergraduates.

Last edited:

Related to Vectors: A Comprehensive Guide to Understanding Interactions

1. What is a vector in science?

A vector in science is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and the length of the arrow represents the magnitude.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in science to describe and analyze interactions between objects, such as forces, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in mathematical models to represent physical quantities.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their x and y components. Then, you can add or subtract the components separately to get the resulting vector. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

4. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector because it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while speed is a scalar because it only has magnitude.

5. What are some real-life examples of vectors?

Some real-life examples of vectors include the force applied by a person pushing a box, the velocity of a car traveling on a curved road, and the displacement of a bird flying in a specific direction.