Vector Subspaces Homework: Is (x,y,z) a Subspace of R^3?

In summary: You can do this in a number of ways, but one simple way is to use the augmented matrix that kduna suggested. Augmented matrices are just a convenient way of organizing a system of equations. In this case, the system of equations is:$$\begin{cases} c_1 + 2c_2 - c_3 = 2 \\ 2c_1 - c_2 + 2c_3 = -3 \\ -c_1 + c_2 = -2 \\ c_1 + 3c_3 = -8 \end{cases}$$To solve this system, you can use any of the usual methods, such as row reduction, substitution, elimination, or guessing and checking
Panphobia

Homework Statement

(x,y,z) where 2x + 2y + z = 1

Is this set a subspace of R^3?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking it is not since it does not contain the origin since
2(0)+2(0) + 0 = 1
0 != 1
(!= means not equal)
Am I right? I am kind of having trouble with this part of linear algebra since the textbook is so vague about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

(x,y,z) where 2x + 2y + z = 1

Is this set a subspace of R^3?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking it is not since it does not contain the origin since
2(0)+2(0) + 0 = 1
0 != 1
(!= means not equal)
Am I right? I am kind of having trouble with this part of linear algebra since the textbook is so vague about this.
Yes, this is enough to show that this set is not a subspace of R3. BTW, the set is a plane in R3.

Yea I know that, but how can I prove that something is a subspace of R^3? I know that proof against is easier, since you only need one tuple to disprove. But to do you need to do anything extra?

To prove that a subset of a vector space (such as R3) is actually a subspace of that vector space, you need to show three things:
1. The zero vector is an element of the set.
2. If u and v are arbitrary elements of the set, then u + v is also an element of the set. (This shows that the set is closed under vector addition.)
3. If u is an arbitrary element of the set, and k is a scalar, then ku is also an element of the set. (This shows that the set is closed under scalar multiplication.)
That's it.

It's a lot more work to show that a set together with two operations (vector addition and scalar multiplication) is actually a vector space - you have to verify that all 10 or so vector space axioms are satisfied. If the set already belongs to a vector space, then all you need to verify are the three I listed above.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I figured it out, and kind of on the same subject. If you are given u = (1,2,-1,1), v = (2,-1,1,0), and w = (-1,2,0,3) write x = (2,-3,-2,-8) as a linear combination of u,v, and w. I really don't know where to start, the textbook gives examples of 3 3D vectors, not 3 4D vectors so how would I go ()u + ()v + ()w if you have 4 values for x?

Panphobia said:
Thanks, I figured it out, and kind of on the same subject. If you are given u = (1,2,-1,1), v = (2,-1,1,0), and w = (-1,2,0,3) write x = (2,-3,-2,-8) as a linear combination of u,v, and w. I really don't know where to start, the textbook gives examples of 3 3D vectors, not 3 4D vectors so how would I go ()u + ()v + ()w if you have 4 values for x?

You can use good old row reduction to do this. Set up an augmented matrix whose first three columns are ##u, v, w##. Then make the last column ##x##. Then row reduce this.

Note: You could also do it by inspection, although that is harder and may require a lot of playing around/ getting lucky.

Last edited:
To elaborate on what kduna said, start with this vector equation:
$$\begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ -3 \\ -2 \\ -8\end{bmatrix} = c_1\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2 \\ -1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} + c_2\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\0 \end{bmatrix} + c_3\begin{bmatrix}-1 \\ 2 \\ 0 \\ 3 \end{bmatrix}$$

Your job is to find the three constants c1, c2, and c3 - the coordinates of x in terms of the vectors u, v, and w.

Related to Vector Subspaces Homework: Is (x,y,z) a Subspace of R^3?

1. What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the operations and properties of a vector space. In simpler terms, it is a set of vectors that are closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine if (x,y,z) is a subspace of R^3?

To determine if (x,y,z) is a subspace of R^3, we need to check if it satisfies three conditions: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and the existence of a zero vector. If all three conditions are met, then (x,y,z) is a subspace of R^3.

3. What is closure under vector addition?

Closure under vector addition means that when two vectors are added together, the result is also in the subspace. In other words, the sum of any two vectors in the subspace must also be in the subspace.

4. What is closure under scalar multiplication?

Closure under scalar multiplication means that when a vector is multiplied by a scalar, the result is also in the subspace. In other words, the scalar multiple of any vector in the subspace must also be in the subspace.

5. Why is the existence of a zero vector important in determining a subspace?

The zero vector is important because it is the identity element for vector addition, meaning that when it is added to any vector, it does not change the vector. It also serves as a reference point for scalar multiplication. Without a zero vector, a subset of a vector space cannot be considered a subspace.