Vector Question Analysis: Did My Lecturer Make a Mistake?

In summary, the conversation discusses a vector question presented in a lecture and a possible mistake in the solution. The question involves finding the magnitude and directions of a vector r and its derivative when a certain condition is met. The lecturer's solution is shown to have a mistake, but it is clarified that the mistake was most likely due to a missing notation. The correct answer is still supposed to be 2/3 seconds.
KiNGGeexD
I was given an example in a lecture of a vector question which is typical of this module.

Question

The position of mass m is described as a vector r, from an origin such that r= 7t i + (4t-3t^2) j metres.

Find the magnitude and directions of r and dr/dt when dy/dt=0Now I have worked through this and know what to do but when I looked at the model answer I noticed what to me looks like a mistake?

I've attached the solution done by my lecturer but he deduces when 4t-3t^2 = 0

That t=2/3 which it can't be it has to be 4/3?I'm not sure if I am mistaken that's why I'm asking and if I am wrong I would like to know why:) thanks guys:)
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389878760.572193.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
KiNGGeexD said:
I was given an example in a lecture of a vector question which is typical of this module.

Question

The position of mass m is described as a vector r, from an origin such that r= 7t i + (4t-3t^2) j metres.

Find the magnitude and directions of r and dr/dt when dy/dt=0

Now I have worked through this and know what to do but when I looked at the model answer I noticed what to me looks like a mistake?

I've attached the solution done by my lecturer but he deduces when 4t-3t^2 = 0

That t=2/3 which it can't be it has to be 4/3?

I'm not sure if I am mistaken that's why I'm asking and if I am wrong I would like to know why:) thanks guys:)View attachment 65683
I don't know whether these notes are in your own handwriting or in your lecturer's handwriting, but whoever wrote them got the equation for dy/dt wrong. The equation for dy/dt is

dy/dt =4-6t

This component of velocity is zero when t = 2/3.

It was the lecturers handwriting

So then the second part where he solves for the magnitude of r must be wrong as the t is added back in?

KiNGGeexD said:
So then the second part where he solves for the magnitude of r must be wrong as the t is added back in?

No, that part is okay. Everything looks okay to me in the attachment except for one thing.

The attachment has in it:

[tex] \vec r = 7 t \ \hat \imath + (4t - 3t^2) \ \hat \jmath [/tex]
[tex] x = 7 t [/tex]
[tex] y = 4t - 3 t^2 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = 4 t - 3 t^2 = 0 [/tex]
That last line has the problem. I think your instructor meant to write:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{d}{d t} \{ 4 t - 3 t^2 \} = 0 [/tex]
but neglected to write in the d/dt operator.

Everything looks okay after that though.

If you take the derivative of y with respect to t and set it equal to zero, you'll find that t = 2/3, which is shown on the attachment correctly.

Yeah, as collinsmark said, it might just be a prob of not writing d/dx as a step,
The ans is still supposed to be 2/3 seconds.

The last previous post on this thread was over a year and a half ago. I'm closing this thread.

Chet

Related to Vector Question Analysis: Did My Lecturer Make a Mistake?

1. What is Vector Question Analysis?

Vector Question Analysis is a method used to analyze questions and determine if there are any mistakes or errors present. It involves breaking down the question into smaller parts and examining each component individually.

2. How does Vector Question Analysis work?

Vector Question Analysis works by using mathematical concepts such as vectors and vector operations to break down the question into smaller parts. Each part is then analyzed for mistakes or errors, and the results are combined to determine if the overall question is correct or not.

3. Why is Vector Question Analysis important?

Vector Question Analysis is important because it allows for a systematic and thorough examination of a question. It can help identify any mistakes or errors that may have been overlooked and improve the overall accuracy and clarity of the question.

4. Can Vector Question Analysis be applied to any type of question?

Yes, Vector Question Analysis can be applied to any type of question. However, it is most commonly used in math and science related questions as those fields often involve complex and multi-dimensional problems that can benefit from a systematic analysis.

5. Is Vector Question Analysis a foolproof method for identifying mistakes in questions?

No, Vector Question Analysis is not a foolproof method. While it can be a helpful tool, it is not infallible and may not catch all mistakes or errors. It is important to also use critical thinking and other methods to double check the accuracy of a question.