Vector Problem: Get Home from 15.0 km Away

In summary, the conversation discusses a vector problem involving a distance of 15.0 km at a direction 40 degrees northwest. The individual needs help and is advised to start with a diagram to visualize the problem. After some discussion and calculations, it is determined that the individual needs to walk 11.1 km east to get home.
janhen200
I need help on this vector problem. We haven't started yet, but this was one of the problems on the syllabus.

Your home is 15.0 km at a direction 40 degrees northwest. If you walked 10.0 km north, in what direction and distance would you have to walk to get home?

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physicsforums! hope you enjoy your stay.

A vector is a quantity that has a magnitude(like 15 km) and direction (like north or south or an angle such as 40deg).

A good place is always to start with a diagram so you can visually see what is going on.

Your home is 15 km away but 40 degrees north OF west. Can you draw this?

I am not permitted to help you unless you show an effort or ask probing questions.

so far, I've done this and I'm not sure whether or not I am correct.

l \
l \
l \ --->15 km
l \
l___\ ----> 40 degrees

sorry, I am really bad at making diagrams on the computer. It just wanst coming out right. Basically i mae a triangle, with a hypotenuse of 15 and one of the angles (the one opposite the hypotenuse) is 40 degrees.

Last edited:
Looks correct to me. However, it is not teh angle opposite to the hypotenuse. it is the angle with the x-axis and hypotenuse.

Now you walk north 10km. What direction and distance do you walk to reach home?

Is the answer 11.1?

I used pythagorean theorem.

a=10
b=x
c=15

10^2 + b^2= 15^2

b=11.1
He needs to walk 11.1 km east to get home

Please let me know whether this is right or wrong.

yea it is right. Try to keep more decimal places. 11.1 is quite different than 11.18.

Ok, thanks alot. You've been a great help.

Related to Vector Problem: Get Home from 15.0 km Away

1. How do vectors affect my ability to get home from 15.0 km away?

Vectors play a crucial role in determining the direction and magnitude of your displacement from your starting point. They can help you plan the most efficient route to get home.

2. What information do I need to solve this vector problem?

To solve this problem, you will need the distance of 15.0 km, the direction you are currently facing, and the direction you need to travel in to get home.

3. How do I calculate the magnitude of the vector in this problem?

The magnitude of the vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (distance and direction).

4. What if there are obstacles in my way when trying to get home?

If there are obstacles in your way, you may need to adjust your direction or distance to avoid them. You can also use vectors to plan a detour or find an alternative route.

5. What are some real-world applications of using vectors to get home?

Vectors are used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to help people get home or to their destination. They are also used in transportation planning to determine the most efficient routes for vehicles to reach their destinations.