Vector of a certain length given unit vector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector with a length of 4, using a unit vector with components -2/sqrt(89), 7/sqrt(89), and -6/sqrt(89). The solution is to simply multiply the unit vector by 4, resulting in a vector with components -8/sqrt(89), 28/sqrt(89), and -24/sqrt(89). The length of the new vector is 4, as desired.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have a unit vector

[tex]frac{{{\rm - 2}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{\rm 7}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{{\rm - 6}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }}[/tex]

I need to figure out a vector with a length of 4 with that as a unit vector. Now I'm thinking that I can just do…

[tex]t(\frac{{{\rm - 2}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{\rm 7}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{{\rm - 6}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})[/tex]

Distribute T and then do the [tex]\sqrt {a^2 + b^2 + c^2 } [/tex]

Thing to get the length to equal 4?

[tex]4 = \sqrt {(\frac{{{\rm - 2t}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})^2 + (\frac{{{\rm 7t}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})^2 + (\frac{{{\rm - 6t}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})^2 } [/tex]

? Is that how you would figure it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
?
You have a unit vector right? and you need a vector in the same direction as this and of length 4?

Since the unit vector has length 1, all you need to do is multiply the unit vector by 4! Its as simple as that.

unit vector= ai + bj + ck
root of( a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = 1
new vector= 4ai + 4bj + 4ck
its length= root of( 4^2 * 1) = 4

haha damn I'm dumb

Moments like these make me question my understanding of math.

Related to Vector of a certain length given unit vector

1. What is a vector of a certain length given a unit vector?

A vector of a certain length given a unit vector is a vector that has a specific magnitude or size, indicated by the length, and is in the direction of the unit vector.

2. How do you find the vector of a certain length given a unit vector?

To find the vector of a certain length given a unit vector, multiply the unit vector by the desired length. This will give you a vector with the same direction as the unit vector, but with the specified length.

3. What is the unit vector and how is it related to the vector of a certain length?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude, or length, of 1. It is commonly used to represent direction in a vector space. The vector of a certain length is related to the unit vector because it is the direction in which the unit vector is pointing, but with a different magnitude.

4. Can the vector of a certain length be negative?

Yes, the vector of a certain length can be negative. This means that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the unit vector. The negative sign represents the opposite direction, not a negative length.

5. Why is the unit vector important in vector calculations?

The unit vector is important in vector calculations because it represents the direction in which the vector is pointing. This allows for consistent and accurate calculations, as well as easier visualization of vectors in a vector space.