Vector Notion in GR: A Tangent Space at p

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Vector
In summary: But at any given point on the surface, there are only two directions in which you can go: north and south. (You can also go east and west, but that's not very interesting.) So the directions you might choose to represent your vector are just the directions perpendicular to the surface at that point. But inside the sphere, there are an infinite number of other directions, corresponding to other points on the sphere. So the vector representing your direction on the sphere is really a vector in an infinite-dimensional space.In summary, vectors in a tangent space represent directions perpendicular to the surface at a given point, while vectors in a normal space represent directions parallel to the surface.
Silviu
Hello! I read this definition of vectors in my GR book: "To each point p in spacetime we associate the set of all possible vectors located at that point; this set is known as the tangent space at p, or ##T_p##". This means that each point in space time is viewed as the origin for the 4 dimensional space and all vectors going from p to any other point form this ##T_p##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I read this definition of vectors in my GR book: "To each point p in spacetime we associate the set of all possible vectors located at that point; this set is known as the tangent space at p, or ##T_p##". This means that each point in space time is viewed as the origin for the 4 dimensional space and all vectors going from p to any other point form this ##T_p##?
The vectors in the tangent space don't join up points in spacetime. The tangent space is a separate vector space with only the one point from your spacetime, point p.

It's a generalisation of the tangent line on a simple 1D curve, which just touches the curve at a single point.

PeroK said:
The vectors in the tangent space don't join up points in spacetime. The tangent space is a separate vector space with only the one point from your spacetime, point p.

It's a generalisation of the tangent line on a simple 1D curve, which just touches the curve at a single point.
So what is a vector, inside the tangent plane?

Silviu said:
So what is a vector, inside the tangent plane?
That is a vector! It doesn't join points in curved spacetime. It's defined in the tangent space.

PeroK said:
That is a vector! It doesn't join points in curved spacetime. It's defined in the tangent space.
Wait, sorry I am confused. From what I understand, the tangent space is a vector space, which contains more than one vector (I guess an infinite number of vectors usually). So, if we take for simplicity a 2D manifold and choose a point, this tangent space is a plane, tangent at that point. And we consider all the vectors inside that plane (is this correct?). So to each point on the 2D manifold, we associate an infinite number of vectors. I am not sure I understand what these vectors mean. Like is the point to which the plane is tangent the origin of these vectors? And what a vector in this plane (a,b) means (picking a basis, what does it point to?). Thank you!

If you imagine a particle constrained to move in 2D along a curve. At each point it has a velocity in the direction of the curve. But that direction doesn't point along the curve for any finite length - unless the curve is a straight line. So, you could ask "where is that velocity vector pointing?"

Tangent spaces are a 4D space-time generalisation of this. A four velocity vector cannot point through curved spacetime for any finite interval. It's direction only exists infinitesimally in spacetime.

One approach, therefore, is to consider the tangent space in which to define and manipulate these vectors. You need the tangent space to allow you to do more mathematics with the vectors, which you can't do with just intuitive hand-waving about vectors having a magnitude and direction.

Likes Silviu
You can think of the vectors as directions (with magnitude) at the given point, eg, velocities. The velocity points in the direction of motion. The vector does not point "to" another point (this is a lie to children also in the Euclidean case because it works there), it points in a direction along the manifold.

Of course, there are more formal definitions of vectors, but you seem to be looking more for a physical intuition.

Likes Silviu
PeroK said:
Tangent spaces are a 4D space-time generalisation of this.
I must interject that there is nothing particular about 4D or space-time. Tangent spaces are a general concept applicable to smooth manifolds.

To expand on what PeroK and Oroduin have said, displacements on a curved manifold can't be treated as vectors. For example, on the Earth's surface, if you travel 300 km north and then 400 km east, you end up at a different point than if you had traveled 400 km east and then 300 km north. On the other hand it is valid to add together the 2D horizontal momentum vectors of particles colliding at a single point, so horizontal momentum is a 2D vector, residing in the tangent space at that point.

And so it is in GR, where the 4-momentum (a.k.a. energy-momentum) of a particle at an event is a 4-vector lying in the tangent space at that event.

Last edited:
The usual example might help. To make the problem less abstract, let's talk about vectors not in a curved 4-d space=time, but on the curved 2-d surface of a 3-d sphere. The sphere is 3 dimensional, it's surface is 2 dimensional.

We can imagine a 2-d plane tangent to the sphere at some point. P, as in the image below which I borrowed from google images:

image022.jpg

We can imagine and manipulate vectors in the tangent plane as we would on any other plane. The abstract property of these vectors is that they can be multiplied by scalars, and that they add, and that both processes are commutative. We'll focus on the addition property in particular - if ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are vectors, ##\vec{A} + \vec{B} = \vec{B} + \vec{A}##.

This is true for the vectors in the tangent plane, but it's not exactly true for displacments on the surface of the sphere. I'm not sure whether to go into more detail or not - my judgment call is that it's best to go into a little more detail with an example, but not a lot of detail at this point.

If our displacements are "small" compared to the diameter of the sphere, the vectors "almost commute". But this sort of fuziness is not suitable for a rigorous mathematical treatment. To define vectors that always commute, no matter how large, we need to introduce the tangent space.

For a very crude example, consider a displacement so large that it wraps halfway around the surface of the sphere, to the antipodal point. If the displacement were a vector, we would say ##\vec{V}## + ##\vec{V}## = ##\vec{0}##, where ##\vec{0}## is the identity element of a vector space. If displacments were vectors, simple algebra would allow us to say that ##\vec{V} = 0##. But the antipodal displacement operator is not zero, it's not an identity element, so we have mathematical inconsistencies.

So, the bottom line is that we regard vectors on curved manifolds as being defined in the tangent space. Consiering the example above hopefully demonstrates why this is necessary.

Likes PeterDonis
pervect said:
The sphere is 3 dimensional, it's surface is 2 dimensional.
The sphere is two-dimensional. You are thinking of a ball.

Related to Vector Notion in GR: A Tangent Space at p

Q: What is the vector notion in GR?

A: The vector notion in GR (General Relativity) refers to the geometric interpretation of vectors in curved space-time. It takes into account the curvature of space-time and the influence of gravity on objects.

Q: What is a tangent space at p?

A: A tangent space at p is a mathematical construct used in GR to represent the space-time around a specific point, p. It is a vector space that contains all possible directions at that point and is used to describe the curvature of space-time at that point.

Q: How is the vector notion related to the tangent space at p?

A: The vector notion is closely related to the tangent space at p as it provides a way to describe and interpret the vectors in that space. The vectors in the tangent space at p are used to represent the positions, velocities, and accelerations of objects in curved space-time.

Q: Why is the vector notion important in GR?

A: The vector notion is important in GR because it allows for the description of objects and their interactions in a curved space-time. It also helps to explain the effects of gravity on objects and the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.

Q: How does the vector notion in GR differ from Newtonian mechanics?

A: The vector notion in GR differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects, whereas Newtonian mechanics assumes a flat space-time. Additionally, the laws of motion and the concept of time are different in GR compared to Newtonian mechanics.