Vector Notation with force and displacement help. Thanks

In summary, the conversation is about a review question for a constant force acting on a ball at a displacement of 1.40m at 10 degrees below the x-axis. The force makes an angle of 60 degrees with the x-axis and the question is asking for the force and displacement in unit vector notation. The correct answer is F=(45 N i) + (77.9 N j) and d = (1.38 m)i - (0.243 m)j. The conversation includes a discussion on how to solve for these values using sine and cosine and also suggests drawing coordinate axes to visualize the problem.
nukeman

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question, but rather a review question. I have the answer, ill post below, but have no idea how to get to the answer :)

Question: "A constant force of 90.0N acts on a ball while it has a displacement of 1.40m at 10 degrees below the x-axis. The force makes and angle of 60 degrees with the x-axis, as shown in the figire (DO you guys need the figure to figure this out?)

A) Express the force, F, and the desplacement d, in unit vector notation?

The correct answer is:

F=(45 N i) + (77.9 N j)
d = (1.38 m)i - (0.243 m)j

Can anyone help me out on how to figure this out please?

THanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For F - Do I just go 90cos(60) = 45.0 N ? (Can you explain to me why I use COS for that one?

I guess what I am having trouble with is knowing which is i (sin or cos) and which is j (sin or cos)

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the force vector, draw it out. You know it is acting at 60 degrees relative to the x-axis, so that is a start. Next, resolve the vector into its components to hence determine the component in the x-direction and the component in the y-direction, which could make use of sine or cosine, depending which angle you use.

I agree with sandy.bridge

if it makes it easier you can draw one coordinate x-y axis and have the ball displaced as mentioned from there and solve for displacement in horizontal (i) and vertical (j) direction.

then you can draw another coordinate x'-y' axis with the origin at the ball and draw the force vector from this axis and solve for the force in the horizontal (i) and vertical (j) direction.

Related to Vector Notation with force and displacement help. Thanks

1. What is vector notation and how is it used in relation to force and displacement?

Vector notation is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of force and displacement, vector notation is used to describe the magnitude and direction of these quantities in a given system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving motion and forces.

2. How do you represent force using vector notation?

Force is typically represented using a vector with an arrow pointing in the direction of the force and a magnitude indicated by the length of the arrow. The direction of the force is often described using angles or coordinate axes.

3. What about displacement?

Displacement is also represented using a vector with an arrow pointing in the direction of the displacement and a magnitude indicated by the length of the arrow. Similar to force, the direction of displacement is often described using angles or coordinate axes.

4. How can vector notation help in solving problems involving force and displacement?

Vector notation allows for a more precise and systematic approach to solving problems involving force and displacement. It allows for the use of mathematical operations such as addition and subtraction of vectors to determine the net force or resultant displacement in a system. Additionally, it helps in visualizing and understanding the direction and magnitude of forces and displacements in a given system.

5. Are there any tips for using vector notation effectively?

One tip for using vector notation effectively is to always clearly define the coordinate axes or reference frame being used. This will help in accurately representing the direction and magnitude of forces and displacements. It is also important to pay attention to the signs and units when performing mathematical operations on vectors. Practice and familiarity with vector notation can also greatly improve its effectiveness in problem-solving.