Vector Notation Inconsistencies

In summary, the two coordinate systems shown are the same, just viewed from different orientations. To actually change the coordinate system, one of the axes would need to have its positive direction changed. When vectors are written in a comma-separated list of Cartesian components in parentheses, the ordering is always (x,y,z). Any other ordering would be unusual and potentially confusing.
LearninDaMath
My teacher writes 3 dimensions like this:

3spaceaa-1.png

My textbook writes it like this:

3spacea.png

If my online H/W is not directly written by my teacher and not directly written by my textbook (MasteringPhysics online HW), then when presented with a vector such as:

A = (2,1,-4)

Should I read it as:

A = (2x, 1y, -4z) or A = (2z, 1x, -4y)

I'm going to guess the H/W is more in line with the teacher's convention than my textbook's convention and that's how I'm going to proceed. However, if anyone has more insightful input as to how to read this vector, I'm all ears.

Physics news on Phys.org
x= 2, y=1, z= -4

The coordinate system is a matter preference both is correct but a point is identified as (x,y,z)

both ARE correct, poor grammer

RTW, I appreciate your response, thanks.

P.S.

"is" ..."are...it's all the same to me. ..Good thing this good place is not called "Grammerforums" :)

LearninDaMath said:
My teacher writes 3 dimensions like this:

3spaceaa-1.png

My textbook writes it like this:

3spacea.png

If my online H/W is not directly written by my teacher and not directly written by my textbook (MasteringPhysics online HW), then when presented with a vector such as:

A = (2,1,-4)

Should I read it as:

A = (2x, 1y, -4z) or A = (2z, 1x, -4y)

I'm going to guess the H/W is more in line with the teacher's convention than my textbook's convention and that's how I'm going to proceed. However, if anyone has more insightful input as to how to read this vector, I'm all ears.

The two coordinate systems are the same. Both are "right-handed." They're just viewed from different orientations. Take the first one and rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise around the x-axis. Then rotate it 90 degrees around the y-axis. The result is what is shown in the second diagram.

To actually *change* the coordinate system, (e.g. to make it "left-handed"), you'd have to change which direction is positive for one of the axes.

Now, to actually answer your question: when vectors are written down in terms of a comma-separated list of their Cartesian components in parentheses, the ordering is always (x,y,z). To do anything else would be very unusual and probably lead to confusion.

cepheid said:
The two coordinate systems are the same. Both are "right-handed." They're just viewed from different orientations. Take the first one and rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise around the x-axis. Then rotate it 90 degrees around the y-axis. The result is what is shown in the second diagram.

To actually *change* the coordinate system, (e.g. to make it "left-handed"), you'd have to change which direction is positive for one of the axes.

Now, to actually answer your question: when vectors are written down in terms of a comma-separated list of their Cartesian components in parentheses, the ordering is always (x,y,z). To do anything else would be very unusual and probably lead to confusion.

I actually had to pick up the nearest box shaped item in my vicinity and rotate it to prove it to myself lol.

I appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Related to Vector Notation Inconsistencies

1. What is vector notation inconsistency?

Vector notation inconsistency refers to the use of different notations or conventions to represent vectors. This can lead to confusion and errors when performing vector operations or communicating mathematical concepts.

2. What are some common vector notation inconsistencies?

Some common vector notation inconsistencies include using different arrow styles to represent vectors (e.g. bold arrows, arrows with a line underneath), using different symbols for vector quantities (e.g. u, v, x, y, etc.), and using different placement of vector notation (e.g. placing it above or beside the vector symbol).

3. How can vector notation inconsistency affect scientific research?

Vector notation inconsistency can lead to errors in calculations and misinterpretation of results, which can ultimately affect the validity and reliability of research findings. It can also make it difficult for researchers to replicate and build upon previous studies.

4. How can vector notation inconsistency be addressed?

To address vector notation inconsistency, it is important for scientists to be aware of the different notations and conventions used in their field and to strive for consistency within their own work. It may also be helpful to establish a standard notation for vector quantities within a particular research community.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with vector notation inconsistency?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help with vector notation inconsistency, such as style guides and notation conventions specific to different fields of study. Additionally, there are online converters and tools that can convert vector notation from one style to another.