Vector Laplacian: Scalar or Vector?

In summary, the Vector Laplacian is a mathematical operator used to calculate the divergence of a vector field. It is a combination of the dot product and the gradient of a vector function. While it may seem to be a vector, it is actually a scalar quantity that represents the rate of change of a vector field. This is due to the fact that the Vector Laplacian operates on scalar functions, resulting in a scalar output. However, it can also be applied to vector functions, but the resulting output will still be a scalar. Therefore, the Vector Laplacian is a scalar operator, despite its name.
olgerm
Gold Member
according to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Laplacian value of Vector_Laplacian is vector, but according to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'Alembertian value of Vector_Laplacian is scalar

8a806b56e1a8af77aca1897fcd8ebf9c.png

Is on of these pages wrong or I misunderstand it?

I am asking because I want to know what does Δ2 equal to in this
1ad8dd4174eba9373c9235546a3264b8.png
and this
5020dc7c1608d709fcad4d7db1f19b50.png
equation on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_descriptions_of_the_electromagnetic_field#Coulomb_gauge page.

Physics news on Phys.org
The d'Alembertian is a differential operator. You can apply it to a scalar and get a scalar, or you can apply it to a vector and get a vector.

So since magnetic potential A in this equation
1ad8dd4174eba9373c9235546a3264b8.png
is vector ##\nabla^2=(\sum_{i=1}^3(\frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial x_i*\partial x_1});\sum_{i=1}^3(\frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial x_i*\partial x_2});\sum_{i=1}^3(\frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial x_i*\partial x_3}))## not ##\nabla^2=\sum_{i=1}^3(\frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial x_i^2})##?
These are Cartesian coordinates.

It is unclear what you intend to write with these expressions. In particular, it is unclear what you intend for ##A## to be (the vector, the vector components, etc). I strongly suggest that you do not write vectors on component form (x;y;z), but instead use basis vectors. This will make it much clearer what is intended.

The Laplace operator applied to a vector in Cartesian coordinates is such that the ##x## component of ##\nabla^2 \vec A## is equal to ##\nabla^2 A_x##, where ##A_x## is the ##x## component of ##\vec A##.

Likes olgerm
olgerm said:
A is vector-field. I am trying to find out what does ##\nabla^2 A##, on this Wikipedia page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_descriptions_of_the_electromagnetic_field#Gauge_freedom , equal to.
Is it that ##(\nabla^2 A)_i=\frac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_i^2}## or ##(\nabla^2 A)_j=\sum_{i=1}^3(\frac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_i \cdot \partial x_j})## or ##\nabla^2 A=\sum_{i=1}^3(\frac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_i^2})##?
Where ##A_i## is the ##i## component of ##\vec A##.
Neither, see my previous post.

Your first option is just one term in the sum, your second is grad(div(A)) and not the Laplacian of A, your third is a scalar.

Orodruin said:
Yes. Although this is only valid in Cartesian coordinates.
Ok, thanks.

Related to Vector Laplacian: Scalar or Vector?

1. Is the Vector Laplacian a scalar or a vector?

The Vector Laplacian is a vector. It is a second-order differential operator that acts on vector fields and produces another vector field as its result.

2. What is the mathematical formula for the Vector Laplacian?

The mathematical formula for the Vector Laplacian is ∇²F = ∇(∇·F) - ∇x(∇x F), where ∇ is the gradient operator, · is the dot product, and x is the cross product.

3. How is the Vector Laplacian used in physics and engineering?

The Vector Laplacian is used to describe and analyze vector fields, which are commonly found in physics and engineering. It is particularly useful in studying fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

4. What is the difference between the Vector Laplacian and the scalar Laplacian?

The Vector Laplacian is a vector operator that acts on vector fields, while the scalar Laplacian is a scalar operator that acts on scalar fields. The Vector Laplacian produces a vector field as its result, whereas the scalar Laplacian produces a scalar field.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Vector Laplacian?

Yes, the Vector Laplacian has many real-life applications. It is used in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, image processing, and computer graphics. It is also used in solving partial differential equations, which are commonly used in physics and engineering.