Vector Kinematics Bonus Question

In summary, the pilot experiences a magnitude and direction of force during the turn that is based on the magnitude and direction of the velocity change.
Asleky

Homework Statement

A plane went 300m/s 35° south of west then 230m/s 20° east of north. What is the magnitude and direction of the 65kg pilot during the 12s turn?

Homework Equations

Kinematics. Vf = Vi + at, d = ViT + 0.5at^2, Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a question on my Physics C exam in January. Sorry, the question wording is terrible because it's from my memory as well, and I don't have any work to show. That's why all I'm asking is for a very general outline of HOW to solve this because I am at a loss. During the exam I tried to convert each vector into x and y components but I wasn't sure what to do then. I would probably use kinematics equations to solve for...whatever magnitude is, then use trig to find the direction. I'm sorry the question couldn't be more specific. :( Thanks for any hint!

Physics news on Phys.org
The pilot does not have a direction. The question was likely asking for the magnitude and direction of the mean acceleration or force during the turn. How would you find that out?

Orodruin said:
The pilot does not have a direction. The question was likely asking for the magnitude and direction of the mean acceleration or force during the turn. How would you find that out?

I would use change in velocity / change in time in both the x and y directions to find acceleration in x and y. F = ma, so use the acceleration and mass of the pilot to find the x and y forces and then use Pythagoras to find total force? :D

You can do it like that, but in this particular case I think it would be easier to just draw a velocity triangle and use the cosine and sine theorems to find out the magnitude and direction of the velocity change. Both methodsshould of course give the same answer.

Related to Vector Kinematics Bonus Question

What is vector kinematics?

Vector kinematics is the study of motion and its related quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, using vectors instead of scalars. Vectors have both magnitude and direction, making them a more accurate representation of motion compared to scalars, which only have magnitude.

What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of motion and the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics deals with the "what" of motion, while dynamics deals with the "why".

How do vectors and scalars differ in kinematics?

Vectors have both magnitude and direction, while scalars only have magnitude. In kinematics, vectors are used to represent quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while scalars are used to represent quantities such as distance, speed, and time.

What are some common applications of vector kinematics?

Vector kinematics is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to analyze the motion of objects in space, such as satellites and spacecraft, and to design vehicles and structures that can withstand various forces.

How can vector kinematics be used in real life?

Vector kinematics is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the speed and direction of a moving vehicle, and predicting the motion of objects in sports. It is also used in the development of virtual reality and video games to create realistic motion.