Vector equation of a spherical surface

In summary: Expanding the left side, we get $\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{x} = 0$. Substituting this into the previous equation, we get $\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{x} = \frac{1}{4}\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b}$. Using the fact that $\mathbf{x} = \frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b}$, we can simplify this to $\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b} = \frac{1}{4}\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b}$, which
Dustinsfl
Let the position vector of an arbitrary point $P(x_1x_2x_3)$ be $\mathbf{x} =x_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i$, and let $\mathbf{b} = b_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i$ be a constant vector.
Show that $(\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{b})\cdot\mathbf{x} = 0$ is the vector equation of a spherical surface having its center at $\mathbf{x} = \frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b}$ with radius of $\frac{1}{2}b$.
\begin{alignat}{3}
(x_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i - b_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i)\cdot x_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i & = & x_i^2-b_ix_i
\end{alignat}
How am I supposed to obtain that $b_i = x_i$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Let the position vector of an arbitrary point $P(x_1x_2x_3)$ be $\mathbf{x} =x_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i$, and let $\mathbf{b} = b_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i$ be a constant vector.
Show that $(\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{b})\cdot\mathbf{x} = 0$ is the vector equation of a spherical surface having its center at $\mathbf{x} = \frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b}$ with radius of $\frac{1}{2}b$.
\begin{alignat}{3}
(x_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i - b_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i)\cdot x_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i & = & x_i^2-b_ix_i
\end{alignat}
How am I supposed to obtain that $b_i = x_i$?

You're not. That would mean $\mathbf b = \mathbf x$, but that is not what you need to prove.

You need to find the distance of $\mathbf x$ to $\frac 12 \mathbf b$ and proof that it is $\frac 12 b$.
That is, can you prove:
$(\mathbf x - \frac 12 \mathbf b)^2 \overset{?}{=} (\frac 12 b)^2$​

Last edited:
ILikeSerena said:
You're not. That would mean $\mathbf b = \mathbf x$, but that is not what you need to prove.

You need to find the distance of $\mathbf x$ to $\frac 12 \mathbf b$ and proof that it is $\frac 12 b$.
That is, can you prove:
$(\mathbf x - \frac 12 \mathbf b)^2 \overset{?}{=} (\frac 12 b)^2$​
$(\mathbf{x} -\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b})^2 = \mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{b} + \frac{1}{4}\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b}$
How do I go from here?

dwsmith said:
$(\mathbf{x} -\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b})^2 = \mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{b} + \frac{1}{4}\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b}$
How do I go from here?

What do you get from $(\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{b})\cdot\mathbf{x} = 0$?

To obtain $b_i = x_i$, we can use the fact that the center of a spherical surface is defined as the midpoint between any two points on the surface. In this case, we can choose two points on the surface, $\mathbf{x}$ and $\mathbf{b}$. Since the center is at $\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b}$, we can set the position vector of this point as $\mathbf{c} = \frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b} = \frac{1}{2}b_i\hat{\mathbf{e}}_i$. We can then use the distance formula to find the distance between $\mathbf{x}$ and $\mathbf{c}$, which is equal to the radius of the spherical surface.

\begin{align}
r &= \sqrt{(x_1-\frac{1}{2}b_1)^2 + (x_2-\frac{1}{2}b_2)^2 + (x_3-\frac{1}{2}b_3)^2} \\
&= \sqrt{(x_i-\frac{1}{2}b_i)(x_i-\frac{1}{2}b_i)} \\
&= \sqrt{(x_i-\frac{1}{2}b_i)^2} \\
&= \frac{1}{2}b_i
\end{align}

Since we know that the radius of the spherical surface is $\frac{1}{2}b$, we can equate this to the value we just found and solve for $b_i$.

\begin{align}
\frac{1}{2}b_i &= \frac{1}{2}b \\
b_i &= x_i
\end{align}

Therefore, we have shown that $b_i = x_i$, which satisfies the condition for the center of the spherical surface. This also means that the vector equation $(\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{b})\cdot\mathbf{x} = 0$ is equivalent to the equation of a spherical surface with its center at $\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{b}$ and radius of $\frac{1}{2}b$.

Related to Vector equation of a spherical surface

1. What is a vector equation of a spherical surface?

The vector equation of a spherical surface is a mathematical representation of a sphere in three-dimensional space. It describes the relationship between the coordinates of points on the surface and the radius of the sphere.

2. How is a vector equation of a spherical surface different from a parametric equation?

A vector equation of a spherical surface uses vector notation to represent the position of points on the surface, while a parametric equation uses scalar parameters to describe the coordinates of points. Additionally, a vector equation can represent any point on the surface, while a parametric equation is limited to a specific range of values for the parameters.

3. Can a vector equation of a spherical surface be written in terms of Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, a vector equation of a spherical surface can be written in terms of Cartesian coordinates by converting the coordinates from spherical to Cartesian using trigonometric functions.

4. What is the significance of the radius in a vector equation of a spherical surface?

The radius in a vector equation of a spherical surface represents the distance from the center of the sphere to any point on the surface. It is a crucial component in determining the size and shape of the sphere.

5. How is a vector equation of a spherical surface used in real-world applications?

A vector equation of a spherical surface is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze spherical shapes, such as planets, stars, and 3D objects, and to calculate distances and angles on a spherical surface.