Vector Calculus: Gradient of separation distance

In summary, the equation for the property of separation distance,$$\nabla (\frac{1}{R}) = -\frac{\hat{R}}{R^2}$$, is a function of position and depends on the coordinate system used.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Could someone explain how the property,
$$\nabla (\frac{1}{R}) = -\frac{\hat{R}}{R^2}$$
where ##R## is the separation distance ##|\vec{r} - \vec{r'}|##, comes about?

What does the expression ##\nabla (\frac{1}{R}) ## even mean?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this attempt misses the mark completely, but I'd like to know what I'm getting wrong:

The separation distance ##R## is a function of ##x,y,z## since ##r## is too. Thus
$$ \nabla ( \frac{1}{R} )= \frac{-1}{R^2} \frac{dR}{dx} \hat{x} + \frac{-1}{R^2} \frac{dR}{dy} \hat{y} + \frac{-1}{R^2} \frac{dR}{dz} \hat{z} $$
which doesn't resemble what I wrote at the beginning.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{1}{R}## is a scalar function of position. Try expressing this in terms of Cartesian coordinates ##(x, y, z)##.

##\nabla## is an operator:

##\nabla f(x, y, z) = (f_x, f_y, f_z)##

where I've used ##f_x = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## etc. But, you seem to be using this correctly in any case.

Now, just keep going.

Thank you for your response.

PeroK said:
##\frac{1}{R}## is a scalar function of position. Try expressing this in terms of Cartesian coordinates ##(x, y, z)##.

So I let ##\frac{1}{R} = f(x,y,z)##. So,

## \nabla f(x, y, z) = (f_x, f_y, f_z) = \frac{-1}{R^2}(dR/dx, dR/dy, dR/dz) = \frac{-1}{R^2} \nabla R ##

Is this what you meant?

WWCY said:

## \nabla f(x, y, z) = (f_x, f_y, f_z) = \frac{-1}{R^2}(dR/dx, dR/dy, dR/dz) = \frac{-1}{R^2} \nabla R ##

Is this what you meant?

Why don't you express ##R## as a function of ##(x, y, x)##? Then you can differentiate it. And all will be revealed!

WWCY said:

Is this what you meant?

Yes, that is exactly what the notation ##\nabla (1/R)## means. Now just finish the job by computing ##\partial R/\partial x,## etc.

WWCY said:

Note that, as in all your posts, these should be partial derivatives.

Thank you both for your input, here's what I came up with.
$$R = \sqrt{ (x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2 + (z - z')^2 }$$
$$\partial _x R = \frac{x - x'}{\sqrt{ (x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2 + (z - z')^2 }} = \frac{R_x}{R}$$
Doing this for all components of the gradient vector, I get
$$\frac{1}{R} (R_x , R_y, R_z)$$
which is the unit vector pointing in the direction of separation, ##\hat{R}##

Is this right?

WWCY said:
Thank you both for your input, here's what I came up with.
$$R = \sqrt{ (x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2 + (z - z')^2 }$$
$$\partial _x R = \frac{x - x'}{\sqrt{ (x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2 + (z - z')^2 }} = \frac{R_x}{R}$$
Doing this for all components of the gradient vector, I get
$$\frac{1}{R} (R_x , R_y, R_z)$$
which is the unit vector pointing in the direction of separation, ##\hat{R}##

Is this right?

Yes. In other words ##\nabla R = \hat{R}##.

PeroK said:
Yes. In other words ##\nabla R = \hat{R}##.
Thank you and @Ray Vickson for the assistance!

Related to Vector Calculus: Gradient of separation distance

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector-valued functions, which are functions that output vectors instead of scalars. It combines the concepts of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, with vectors to study the behavior of vector fields.

2. What is the gradient of separation distance?

The gradient of separation distance is a mathematical representation of the change in distance between two points in a vector field. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase in distance between the two points and its magnitude represents the rate of change of the distance.

3. How is the gradient of separation distance calculated?

The gradient of separation distance is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each variable (x, y, and z) and combining them into a vector. This vector is then evaluated at the specific points of interest to determine the gradient at those points.

4. What is the significance of the gradient of separation distance?

The gradient of separation distance is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of vector fields and how they affect the distance between points. It helps us determine the direction and magnitude in which the distance is changing and can be used in applications such as optimization and physical modeling.

5. What are some real-world applications of the gradient of separation distance?

The gradient of separation distance has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the flow of heat in a material, calculate the path of a particle in a magnetic field, or optimize the placement of cell phone towers for maximum coverage. It is also used in financial modeling to determine the optimal portfolio allocation for investments.