Vector calculus and parametrisation

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics assignment due the next day and a question on a parametric curve. The first part of the conversation is about finding help and the second part includes questions about sketching the curve, calculating the tangent vector, and finding a new parametrisation of the curve. The group discusses different ways to approach the problem and eventually comes to a solution.
Metalor
Ok, I just found out I have a physics assignment due tomorrow and I have no idea how to do it so I came here for help as none of the maths assistants at Uni could help me. I'm having trouble with:

1. Consider the parametric curve given by the equation x(t)= t<i> + t^(1/3)<j> - <> denotes a vector
a) Sketch x(t) , b) calculate x'(t). does this vector exist at t=0? c) Find a new parametrisation of the curve for which the tangent vector is well defined at all point. What is the value of the vector at the origin?
I don't understand what the equation is describing and I THINK 'i' and 'j' are vectors (handout read t* i[hat] + t^1/3j[hat], so I don't have a clue how to sketch this. I think I've got question b) and x'(t) = i + j/3*t^(2/3) which is undefined when t = 0, so the vector does not exist.Help! :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Metalor said:
Ok, I just found out I have a physics assignment due tomorrow and I have no idea how to do it so I came here for help as none of the maths assistants at Uni could help me. I'm having trouble with:

1. Consider the parametric curve given by the equation x(t)= t<i> + t^(1/3)<j> - <> denotes a vector

a) Sketch x(t) , b) calculate x'(t). does this vector exist at t=0? c) Find a new parametrisation of the curve for which the tangent vector is well defined at all point. What is the value of the vector at the origin?

I don't understand what the equation is describing and I THINK 'i' and 'j' are vectors (handout read t* i[hat] + t^1/3j[hat], so I don't have a clue how to sketch this. I think I've got question b) and x'(t) = i + j/3*t^(2/3) which is undefined when t = 0, so the vector does not exist.

I think I can help you with part a). Assume x(t) to be a position vector in the xy plane. Now the x component of the position vector is x = t right? Similarly, the y component is y = t1/3. So all you need to do is relate y and x i.e. write y as some function of x and plot it on the xy plane.

I've just done a bit of reading online, and have this so far:

x(t) = ti + (t^(1/3))j gives two equations x = t and y = x^1/3 with gives the equation y= x^(1/3) and then sketch from there?

Is this correct or am I way off?

##\hat{i}## is the unit vector in the ##x## direction and ##\hat{j}## is the unit vector in the ##y## direction. You can also think of this as the point set ##(t,t^{1/3})## if that helps you visualize the curve. Personally, I never like the i,j notation, but a lot of people do. It shouldn't be difficult to write this in the familiar form ##y=f(x)## instead of the parametric way it is given. This may make part c) easier.

Metalor said:

x(t) = ti + (t^(1/3))j gives two equations x = t and y = x^1/3 with gives the equation y= x^(1/3) and then sketch from there?

Looks okay so far.
Edit: actually you have what looks like a typo, but I'm pretty sure you understand it.

Metalor said:

Yes this is right.

Oh wow, you guys are fast! I wasn't expecting a response for a few hours but you beat me to it. Thanks very much :)

Hey guys,

So I've got a) and b) done but I"m still not sure about c)

It's asking me to find a new parametrisation of the curve for which the tangent vector is well defined at all points. And what is the value of the vector at origin?

Does that just mean write it as y = x^1/3? But at the origin, the tangent vector is undefined?

When you look at the curve of y=x1/3 you can see that the slope at x=0 is infinite. So I'm not sure how to create a new parametrisation to fulfill the requirements. I hope DrewD or someone else can help you there.

Metalor said:
Hey guys,

So I've got a) and b) done but I"m still not sure about c)

It's asking me to find a new parametrisation of the curve for which the tangent vector is well defined at all points. And what is the value of the vector at origin?

Does that just mean write it as y = x^1/3? But at the origin, the tangent vector is undefined?
A vector tangent to ##\displaystyle \ y=x^{1/3} \ ## would have an x component of zero, and a non-zero y component.

You need a parametrization such that x'(t) = 0, when x(t) = 0 .

There is a fairly obvious one available.

(Solve ##\displaystyle \ y=x^{1/3} \ ## for x .)

Related to Vector calculus and parametrisation

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the mathematical operations of vectors, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It also includes the study of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a given region.

2. How is vector calculus different from regular calculus?

Vector calculus is an extension of regular calculus that focuses on vector quantities, while regular calculus deals with scalar quantities. Vector calculus also introduces new operations, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl, to manipulate vector fields.

3. What is parametrisation in vector calculus?

Parametrisation is the process of representing a curve or surface as a set of equations in terms of one or more parameters. In vector calculus, parametrisation is used to represent a curve or surface as a vector-valued function, which allows for easier calculations and analysis.

4. How is parametrisation used in real-world applications?

Parametrisation is widely used in physics, engineering, and other fields to represent and analyze physical systems that involve curves or surfaces. For example, in fluid dynamics, parametrisation is used to describe the flow of fluids through pipes and around objects.

5. What are some common applications of vector calculus in science and engineering?

Vector calculus has a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including electromagnetic theory, fluid dynamics, mechanics, and computer graphics. It is also used in the development of algorithms for machine learning and computer vision.