Variational Principle and Vectorial Identities

In summary, the principle of Minimum energy for an elastic body states that the equilibrium state of a body, with no body forces or applied tractions, minimizes the functional $$\int_{\Omega} \nabla^{(s)} u D (\nabla^{(s)}u)$$ among all vectorial functions u satisfying the boundary conditions. This principle is expressed in terms of displacements and its Euler Lagrange Equation is expected to coincide with the equilibrium equation of elasticity, the Navier equations. To prove this, one can compute the Euler Lagrange equation of the functional using integration by parts, but this does not yield the term $$\nabla (\nabla \cdot u)$$. The question is how
muzialis
Hello there,

I am struggling in proving the following.
The principle of Minimum energy for an elastic body (no body forces, no applied tractions) says that the equilibrium state minimizes
$$\int_{\Omega} \nabla^{(s)} u D (\nabla^{(s)}u)$$
among all vectorial functions u satisfying the boundary conditions, where $$\nabla^{(s)} = \frac{1}{2} (u_{i,j}+u_{j,i})$$ and D is a constant tensor $$D_{ijkl}$$
The principle is expressed in terms of displacements, so one would expect that its Euler Lagrange Equation coinciides with the equlibrium equation of elasticity expressed in terms of displacements, the Navier equations, $$A \nabla (\nabla \cdot u) + B \nabla^{2} u = 0$$, A e B constants.
How to prove that? I am quite shaky in dimensions higher than 1.
I tried writing the first variation, after introducing $$u_{var} = U + \epsilon u$$ as
$$\int_{\Omega} \nabla^{(s)} u D (\nabla^{(s)}U)$$
and now by integration by parts I recover a Laplacian, as in Navier's equation (second term), but not the term $$\nabla (\nabla \cdot u)$$, any help would be so appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me rephrase the question, to make it clearer.
How to compute the Euler Lagrange equation of the functional
$$\int_{\Omega} \nabla^{(s)} u D (\nabla^{(s)}u)$$
where u is a vectorial function, $$\nabla^{(s)}u = \frac{1}{2} (u_{i,j}+u_{j,i})$$ and D is a (symmetric) constant tensor $$D_{ijkl}$$?

Related to Variational Principle and Vectorial Identities

1. What is the Variational Principle?

The Variational Principle is a fundamental concept in physics and mathematics that states that the true solution to a physical system can be obtained by minimizing a certain quantity, known as the action, with respect to all possible paths or configurations of the system.

2. How is the Variational Principle applied in physics?

In physics, the Variational Principle is used to derive the equations of motion for a system, such as the famous Euler-Lagrange equations in classical mechanics. It is also used in quantum mechanics to find the wave function that describes the behavior of a quantum system.

3. What are vectorial identities?

Vectorial identities are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between vectors, which are mathematical objects with magnitude and direction. These identities are used to simplify and manipulate vector equations in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How are vectorial identities related to the Variational Principle?

In the context of the Variational Principle, vectorial identities are used to simplify the action functional, which is the expression that needs to be minimized. This allows for a more efficient and elegant solution to the problem at hand.

5. Can the Variational Principle be applied to any physical system?

The Variational Principle has been successfully applied to a wide range of physical systems, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. However, it is not applicable to all systems, as some may have multiple minima or no minima at all in their action functional.