Variational Calculus: Finding a Geodesic with EL Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a geodesic using the Euler-Lagrange equation and a given parameterization. The resulting equation, when plugged into the EL equation for either x or y, leads to either a linear solution or a solution where the derivative of y with respect to x is equal to -1.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am trying to find a geodesic with Euler-Lagrange equation by varying the function

[tex] ds/d\tau = \sqrt{\dot{x} + \dot{y}} [/tex]

EDIT: it should be [tex] ds/d\tau = \sqrt{\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2} [/tex]

where tau is a parametrization and the dot means a tau derivative.

However, when I plug that into the EL equation for either x or y, I get:

[tex] (\dot{x} + \dot{y})^{3/2}(\ddot{x}+\ddot{y})=0 [/tex]

How do I get a line from that?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm don't know much about variational calculus, but as far as geodesics go, why does it have to be a line?

Because the closest distance between 2 points in R^n is and the ds I am using is the differential line element in R^n.

In R^2 the differential line element is: ds = sqrt(dx^2+dy^2)

I just divided both sides by the parameter dtau to get the first equation in my last post.

ehrenfest said:
In R^2 the differential line element is: ds = sqrt(dx^2+dy^2)

I just divided both sides by the parameter dtau to get the first equation in my last post.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, shouldn't you get

[tex] ds/d\tau = \sqrt{\dot{x}^{2} + \dot{y}^{2}} [/tex] ?

Otherwise, the expression you had isn't even correct dimensionally...

Yes, that was foolish. But i had it correctly in my calculations so my question remains unanswered

Last edited:
Lemme see if I remember how this goes...

Your equation

[tex] (\dot{x} + \dot{y})^{3/2}(\ddot{x}+\ddot{y})=0 [/tex]

implies that either

[tex] (\dot{x} + \dot{y})^{3/2}=0 [/tex] or [tex] (\ddot{x}+\ddot{y})=0 [/tex].

For the first term to be zero, you'd need

[tex] \dot{x} = - \dot{y}[/tex], which would give you dy/dx = -1 , no?

For the second term to be zero, you'd have

[tex] \ddot{x} = -\ddot{y} [/tex] , which takes more antidifferentiation, but I believe also leads to a linear solution. (Not very rigorous, to be sure, but I believe that's basically how the argument runs.)

That's rigorous enough for me. Its kind of weird we have that -1 solution though. Did you check that my equation is correct?

Last edited:

Related to Variational Calculus: Finding a Geodesic with EL Equation

What is variational calculus?

Variational calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal path or curve between two points. It is based on the principle of finding the path that minimizes a certain functional or maximizes another functional.

What is a geodesic?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. In other words, it is the curve that minimizes the distance between two points, taking into account the curvature of the surface.

What is the EL equation?

The EL (Euler-Lagrange) equation is a differential equation that is used in variational calculus to find the optimal path or curve. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action (a quantity related to the total energy of the system).

How is the EL equation used to find a geodesic?

The EL equation is used to find a geodesic by setting up a functional (a mathematical expression involving a function) that represents the distance between two points on a curved surface. This functional is then minimized using the EL equation, which gives the equation for the geodesic.

What are some real-world applications of variational calculus and the EL equation?

Variational calculus and the EL equation have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include finding the path of a light ray in a curved medium, determining the trajectory of a satellite orbiting a planet, and optimizing the shape of an object to minimize drag in fluid mechanics.