Variation of parameters for a second order ODE

In summary, the conversation is about solving the ODE ##y''+2y'+2y=e^{-t}\sin t## using the variation of parameters method. The attempt at a solution involves finding the complementary solution, calculating the Wronskian, and using a "cheat" from Wolfram Alpha to evaluate the integrals. However, the resulting particular solution is incorrect and the conversation ends with suggestions for simplifying the solution method.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must solve ##y''+2y'+2y=e^{-t}\sin t##.
I know variation of parameters might not be the fastest/better way to solve this problem but I wanted to practice it as I never, ever, could solve a DE with it. (Still can't with this one). Though the method is supposed to work.

Homework Equations

Variation of parameters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I quickly solved the homogeneous ODE, the complementary solution is ##y_c (t)=c_1\underbrace{e^{(-1-i)t}}_{y_1(t)}+c_2\underbrace{e^{(-1+i)t}}_{y_2(t)}##, I even manually derivated it twice and plugged it into the ODE, it does satisfy the homogeneous ODE.
I've calculated the Wronskian of ##y_1(t)## and ##y_2(t)##, it's worth ##2ie^{-2t}##.
Now according to all sources of information I found, the particular solution is ##y_p =-y_1(t) \int \frac{y_2(t)e^{-t}\sin t}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)}dt+y_2(t) \int \frac{y_1 e^{-t}\sin t}{W(y_1,y_2)(t)}dt##.
Using a "cheat" taken from Wolfram Alpha, namely that ##\int e^{it}\sin t dt= \frac{it}{2}-\frac{1}{4}e^{2it}##, I reach a total nonsense : ##y_p(t)=e^{(-1-i)t}\left ( \frac{i}{8}- \frac{t}{4} \right ) - e^{(-1+i)t} \left ( \frac{i}{8}+ \frac{t}{4} \right )##. The answer should be ##y_p(t)=-\frac{e^t}{2}t \cos t##.
I'm totally clueless on where is/are my error(s). It's a simple integral's evaluation and I sought help from wolfram alpha ( http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+e^(i*x)sin+x+dx to be exact). There's no reason the method should fail, yet it "seems that it does fail".

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your yp. Is not some exponents missing? Write e±it=cos(t)± isin(t). Collect the real and imaginary terms in yp and see what you get.

ehild

Last edited:
In terms of real variables, the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, [itex]y''+ 2y'+ 2y= 0[/itex] is [itex]y= e^{-t}(Acos(t)+ Bsin(t))[/itex].

You will find it simpler to use [itex]y= u(t)e^{-t}sin(t)+ v(t)e^{-t}cos(t)[/itex] as your solution.

Thanks guys, the rewriting of the complementary solution did the job. I'll keep this in mind for next time(s).

Related to Variation of parameters for a second order ODE

1. What is the variation of parameters method for solving second order ODEs?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used to solve a second order ordinary differential equation (ODE) that is in the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x). It involves finding a particular solution by using a set of functions multiplied by unknown coefficients, known as the variation of parameters, to replace the arbitrary constants that would normally be used in the complementary solution.

2. How is the variation of parameters method different from other methods of solving second order ODEs?

The variation of parameters method differs from other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of reduction of order, in that it can be used to solve non-homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients. It also provides a more general solution compared to the other methods.

3. What are the steps involved in using the variation of parameters method?

The steps for using the variation of parameters method are as follows:

1. Find the complementary solution by solving the homogeneous equation y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0.
  2. Find the Wronskian of the homogeneous solution and the associated functions.
  3. Write the variation of parameters as a set of functions multiplied by unknown coefficients.
  4. Substitute the variation of parameters into the original ODE and solve for the coefficients.
  5. Add the complementary solution and the particular solution to obtain the general solution.

4. When is the variation of parameters method most useful?

The variation of parameters method is most useful when solving non-homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients. It is also useful when the particular solution cannot be easily guessed or when other methods are not applicable.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it can be more computationally intensive compared to other methods. It also relies on the existence and availability of a fundamental set of solutions for the homogeneous equation, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the particular solution obtained using this method may not always be in a simplified form, making it more difficult to work with in some cases.