Variance of Continous Random Variable

In summary: OK, so as I suspected, you computed EY = E(3X-2), but your question originally said Y = 3X+2!If 'a' and 'b' are constants, Var(AX+b) = a^2 Var(X) [that is, the constant term 'b' drops out and the factor 'a' gets squared]. Since Var(X) = 4^2 = 16, we have Var(Y) = 3^2 * 16 = 144. This is a lot easier than computing \int_0^{\infty} (y-10)^2 f_Y(y) \, dy.
Lancelot59
I have the continuous random variable Y, defined such that:

[tex]
Y=3X+2
[/tex]
and the PDF of x is zero everywhere but:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{4}e^{\frac{-x}{4}}, x>0[/tex]

I correctly got the mean like so:
[tex]\mu=E(h(x))=\int^{\infty}_{0} h(x)f(x)[/tex]
and evaluated it to be 10.

I am unsure as to how I go about getting the variance now. In previous problems I use the usual formula of:

[tex]\sigma=\int^{b}_{a} (x-\mu)^{2}f(x)[/tex]

or the shortcut of:
[tex]\sigma^{2}=E[X^{2}]-\mu^{2}[/tex]

However I'm unsure what to do in the case where the random variable is dependent on another with a given PDF function for continuous random variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with substiting in the expression for Y into [itex]Var(Y)[/itex]

Seperate out [itex]Var(X)[/itex]

Gullik said:
Start with substiting in the expression for Y into [itex]Var(Y)[/itex]

Seperate out [itex]Var(X)[/itex]

I'm not quite sure how to put that together. To start, I have:
[tex]Var(Y)=\int^{\infty}_{0} (y-10)^2*f(y)[/tex]

I would start with [itex]Var(Y)=Var(3X+2)=Var(3X)+Var(2)[/itex]

Lancelot59 said:
I'm not quite sure how to put that together. To start, I have:
[tex]Var(Y)=\int^{\infty}_{0} (y-10)^2*f(y)[/tex]

If you want to use this form then [itex]\mu_Y=E(Y)=E(3X+2)=3E(X)+2[/itex]

Gullik said:
If you want to use this form then [itex]\mu_Y=E(Y)=E(3X+2)=3E(X)+2[/itex]

I see. So all I need to do is then find the expected value of the function defining the PDF of x?

Lancelot59 said:
I have the continuous random variable Y, defined such that:

[tex]
Y=3X+2
[/tex]
and the PDF of x is zero everywhere but:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{4}e^{\frac{-x}{4}}, x>0[/tex]

I correctly got the mean like so:
[tex]\mu=E(h(x))=\int^{\infty}_{0} h(x)f(x)[/tex]
and evaluated it to be 10.

I am unsure as to how I go about getting the variance now. In previous problems I use the usual formula of:

[tex]\sigma=\int^{b}_{a} (x-\mu)^{2}f(x)[/tex]

or the shortcut of:
[tex]\sigma^{2}=E[X^{2}]-\mu^{2}[/tex]

However I'm unsure what to do in the case where the random variable is dependent on another with a given PDF function for continuous random variables.

Neither X nor Y has mean 10, so you did something wrong. What is the mean of X? How is the mean of Y related to the mean of X? What is Var(X)? How is Var(Y) related to it?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Neither X nor Y has mean 10, so you did something wrong. What is the mean of X? How is the mean of Y related to the mean of X? What is Var(X)? How is Var(Y) related to it?

RGV

10 is what I got, and it matches the answer in the textbook...

Lancelot59 said:
I calculated E[X] = 4. Please show how you got 10.

Lancelot59 said:

Well, EX (the mean of X) is not 10, and EY (the mean of Y) is not 10. However, E(3*X - 2) = 10, so maybe you just typed the question incorrectly, and maybe you really meant EY when you seemed to be talking about EX.

RGV

jbunniii said:
I calculated E[X] = 4. Please show how you got 10.

Here is the integral I solved in order to get the mean:

[tex]\mu=\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{4}e^{\frac{-x}{4}}(3x-2)dx=10[/tex]

from the identity where:

[tex]E[h(x)]=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} h(x)f(x) dx[/tex]

Anyhow, it turns out that in solving the variance I made an arithmetical mistake, and I did manage to get the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

Lancelot59 said:
Here is the integral I solved in order to get the mean:

[tex]\mu=\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{4}e^{\frac{-x}{4}}(3x-2)dx=10[/tex]

from the identity where:

[tex]E[h(x)]=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} h(x)f(x) dx[/tex]

Anyhow, it turns out that in solving the variance I made an arithmetical mistake, and I did manage to get the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

OK, so as I suspected, you computed EY = E(3X-2), but your question originally said Y = 3X+2!

BTW: if 'a' and 'b' are constants, Var(AX+b) = a^2 Var(X) [that is, the constant term 'b' drops out and the factor 'a' gets squared]. Since Var(X) = 4^2 = 16, we have Var(Y) = 3^2 * 16 = 144. This is a lot easier than computing
[tex] \int_0^{\infty} (y-10)^2 f_Y(y) \, dy.[/tex]

RGV

Related to Variance of Continous Random Variable

What is the definition of variance of a continuous random variable?

The variance of a continuous random variable is a measure of how spread out the values of the variable are. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each value and the mean of the variable.

How is the variance of a continuous random variable different from the variance of a discrete random variable?

The main difference is that a continuous random variable can take on an infinite number of values, while a discrete random variable can only take on a finite or countably infinite set of values. This means that the calculation for variance of a continuous random variable involves integration, while the calculation for variance of a discrete random variable involves summation.

What is the formula for calculating the variance of a continuous random variable?

The formula for calculating the variance of a continuous random variable is:
Var(X) = ∫(x - μ)^2 * f(x) dx
where μ is the mean of the variable and f(x) is the probability density function of the variable.

What does a higher variance of a continuous random variable indicate?

A higher variance indicates that the values of the variable are more spread out from the mean. This could mean that there is a wider range of possible outcomes, or that there is more variability in the data.

How is the variance of a continuous random variable used in statistical analysis?

The variance of a continuous random variable is used to calculate other important measures such as standard deviation and coefficient of variation. It is also used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations to assess the likelihood of obtaining certain results. Additionally, it can give insight into the shape and distribution of the data.