Variance and Cauchy Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in comparing random signals with different statistical distributions, particularly when the histogram is a lorentzian shape. The question is whether there is a way to compare the range of these statistics, and the suggestion is to use the interquartile range or the characteristic function. However, the first moment does not exist for the Cauchy distribution, causing confusion for the individual asking the question.
ZeMike
Dear all,
I'm not a mathematician so please excuse me for a certain lack of strictness ...

I work on random signals in physics, these signals are most of the time called "noise" for us. For example, we can speak about x(t), a time domain random signal.
Very usually, the statistics for noise is gaussian or poissonian, and so we use to speak of the histogram of this signal, in terms of second order moment or variance : it's practical because this single number permits to compare various noises.

Unfortunately, recently I started to work on signals which histogram is a lorentzian shape. If I understood, this corresponds to the Cauchy distribution. And again, if I understood, the second order momentum is inifinite : when I try to solve the second order moment integral, I obtain the infinite ... not practical. And indeed, a Lorentzian width is usually known thanks to its full with half maximum and not by its variance (before calculating the variance, I thought this choice was arbitrary ;-) ).
Moreover, things can become more complex as some histograms can be voigt-function shaped (= lorentzian-gaussian convolution).

So here is my question : I would like to compare the histograms of all my noises, whatever their statistics, by speaking of their "range" (= variance for a gaussian shape for example). I understand it is not possible to use the second order momentum for that purpose. Is there some other way to compare the range of these statistics ?

Perhaps my question does not makes sense for some fundamental reason, if this is the case I would like to understand why.

Best Regards,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just looking for quantities of spread, then perhaps you could check the "interquartile range". You might also be able to do something with the characteristic function.

By the way, if your data was really from the Cauchy distribution, then you would find that the first moment doesn't exist either.

Thanks a lot for this answer ! the interquartile range seems to be an interesting indicator.

However, concerning the chareteristic function, I do not understand what you suggest. If I understood, the charateristic function computes like the Fourier transform of the histogram. Then there are two problems form me :
- what kind of width calculatin may I use on the characteristic function ?
- if I use for example the variance for this, it is possible to obtain a Lorentzian in the Fourier space, so the problem remains unsolved

For the first moment of the Cauchy distribution, it's a result I have seen, however the integral calculs seems to give good values. I think I did not really understand the problem.

Best Regards,
Mike

Related to Variance and Cauchy Distribution

1. What is variance in statistics?

Variance is a measure of how spread out a set of data points are from the mean. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean.

2. How is variance used in data analysis?

Variance is used to quantify the amount of variability in a dataset. It is a useful statistic for understanding the distribution of data and can be used to make comparisons between different datasets.

3. What is the Cauchy distribution?

The Cauchy distribution is a probability distribution that is often used in statistics and mathematics to model random variables with heavy tails. It is characterized by its probability density function, which resembles a bell curve with longer tails.

4. How is the Cauchy distribution different from the normal distribution?

The Cauchy distribution differs from the normal distribution in that it has much longer tails, which means that it has a higher probability of extreme values compared to the normal distribution. It also does not have a defined mean or variance like the normal distribution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy distribution?

The Cauchy distribution has been used to model various phenomena in fields such as physics, economics, and finance. Some examples include modeling the velocity of particles in a gas, the return on investments, and the distribution of earthquake magnitudes.