Vanessa's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding applications of integration

In summary: Therefore, to find the area between the two curves, we only need to consider the area under $g(x)$ from $x=0$ to $x=3$:\int_0^3 4x+3\,dx=\left[2x^2+3x \right]_0^3=18In summary, we solved for the average value of an account after 10 years with a continuous compound interest rate of 5.35%. We also found the area between two curves, where one is tangent to the other, to be zero.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here are the questions:

Determine the area of the region between the curves?

(a) If 77600 dollars is deposited in an account for 10 years at 5.35 percent compounded continuously , find the average value of the account during the 10 years period.

(b) Determine the area of the region between the curves: f(x) = -1*x^2 + 10x - 6 and g(x) = 4x + 3.
--for this one I know I'm supposed to get the intersections, but I'm only getting one x-value, 3. What do I do?Thank you in advance! :)

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Vanessa,

(a) We may model the amount $A$ in dollars in the account at time $t$ in years with the IVP:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dA}{dt}=rA\) where \(\displaystyle A(0)=A_0\)

Separate variables, exchange dummy variables of integration and use boundaries as limits:

\(\displaystyle \int_{A_0}^{A(t)}\frac{du}{u}=r\int_0^t\,dv\)

Applying the FTOC, we find:

\(\displaystyle \left[\ln|u| \right]_{A_0}^{A(t)}=r\left[v \right]_0^t\)

\(\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{A(t)}{A_0} \right)=rt\)

Convert from logarithmic to exponential form, solving for $A(t)$:

\(\displaystyle A(t)=A_0e^{rt}\)

Now, the average value in the account over a period of $t$ years is:

\(\displaystyle \overline{A(t)}=\frac{1}{t-0}\int_0^t A_0e^{ru}\,du=\frac{A_0}{rt}\int_0^t e^{ru}\,r\,du=\frac{A_0}{rt}\left[e^{ru} \right]_0^t=\frac{A_0\left(e^{rt}-1 \right)}{rt}\)

Now, using the given data:

\(\displaystyle A_0=77600,\,r=0.0535,\,t=10\), we find:

\(\displaystyle \overline{A(10)}=\frac{77600\left(e^{0.0535\cdot10}-1 \right)}{0.0535\cdot10}\approx102613.05\)

(b) First, let's find the points of intersection:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=g(x)\)

\(\displaystyle -x^2+10x-6=4x+3\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-6x+9=0\)

\(\displaystyle (x-3)^2=0\)

You are correct, we find that $g(x)$ is tangent to $f(x)$ and so the area of region bounded by the two functions is zero.

Related to Vanessa's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding applications of integration

1. What are some real-life applications of integration?

Integration is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some common applications include calculating the area under a curve, finding the volume of a solid object, and determining the displacement of an object over time.

2. How is integration used in economics?

In economics, integration is used to calculate total revenue, total cost, and profit. It can also be used to model supply and demand curves, as well as calculate consumer and producer surplus.

3. Can integration be used in biology?

Yes, integration is used in biology to model population growth, calculate genetic diversity, and analyze biological processes such as enzyme kinetics.

4. What are some common techniques used in integration?

The most common techniques used in integration include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Other techniques, such as partial fractions and improper integrals, are also frequently used.

5. How does integration relate to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations, meaning they undo each other. Integration is used to find the original function when given its derivative, while differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function. They are also related through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that integration and differentiation are connected by the area under a curve.