Van der Waals, temperature decrease

In summary, we can find the desired p-V region where the temperature is decreasing by setting the derivative of the ideal gas law to be less than zero and solving for p and V using the partial derivatives you have already calculated.
Gregg

Homework Statement

I need to find a p-V region where the temperature is decreasing

## (p + \frac{a}{V^2} ) (V-b) = RT ##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that a place to start would be

## dT = \frac{\partial T}{\partial P} dP + \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} dV < 0 ##

So ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial P} dP < - \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} dV ##

Do I now, ## \int \frac{\partial T}{\partial P} dP < - \int \frac{\partial T}{\partial V} dV ##?

## \frac{\partial T}{\partial P} = V - b ##

##\frac{\partial T}{\partial V} = p + a \log (V) -2 \frac{a b}{V^3} ##

Is this the way to do it? The integrals are complicated and I can't really do them

Physics news on Phys.org
without knowing what values of p and V I am working with.

Hi there,

First of all, great start on tackling this problem! Your approach seems to be on the right track. However, I would suggest making a few adjustments to your strategy.

Instead of trying to find a specific p-V region, let's think about this problem in terms of a temperature-pressure-volume (T-P-V) diagram. This will give us a visual representation of the system and make it easier to identify the region where the temperature is decreasing.

Now, let's recall the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. Using this equation, we can rewrite your first equation as:

##(p + \frac{a}{V^2}) (V-b) = \frac{nR}{V}T##

Since we are interested in finding a region where the temperature is decreasing, we can rewrite this equation as:

##\frac{nR}{V}T = (p + \frac{a}{V^2}) (V-b)##

Now, let's differentiate this equation with respect to V:

##\frac{nR}{V}\frac{dT}{dV} = (p + \frac{a}{V^2}) - \frac{2a}{V}(V-b)##

Since we are looking for a region where the temperature is decreasing, we want the derivative ##\frac{dT}{dV}## to be negative. Therefore, we can set this derivative to be less than zero:

##\frac{nR}{V}\frac{dT}{dV} < 0##

Now, we can substitute in the partial derivatives you have already calculated in your attempt:

##\frac{nR}{V}(V-b) < -\frac{nR}{V}(p + a\log(V) - \frac{2ab}{V^2})##

Simplifying this equation, we get:

##V-b < -(p + a\log(V) - \frac{2ab}{V^2})##

Now, we can rearrange this equation to get:

##p + a\log(V) - \frac{2ab}{V^2} < V - b##

This inequality gives us the desired region on the T-P-V diagram where the temperature is decreasing. We can plot this inequality on the T-P-V diagram and find the corresponding p-V region.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your calculations.

Related to Van der Waals, temperature decrease

1. What is the Van der Waals equation?

The Van der Waals equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account the intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas molecules.

2. How does temperature affect Van der Waals forces?

As temperature decreases, the strength of Van der Waals forces increases. This is because at lower temperatures, gas molecules have less kinetic energy and are closer together, allowing for stronger interactions between them.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the Van der Waals coefficient?

The Van der Waals coefficient, also known as the a coefficient, is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature decreases, the a coefficient also decreases, meaning that the strength of Van der Waals forces decreases.

4. How does a temperature decrease impact the behavior of a gas according to the Van der Waals equation?

A decrease in temperature causes the pressure of a gas to decrease and the volume to decrease, according to the Van der Waals equation. This is due to the increase in strength of intermolecular forces at lower temperatures, resulting in a more compact and less compressible gas.

5. Why is the Van der Waals equation important in understanding gas behavior?

The Van der Waals equation is important because it provides a more accurate description of real gases, taking into account the deviations from ideal gas behavior. This allows for a better understanding of gas properties, such as pressure and volume, at different temperatures and pressures.