Value of cos(x) where x is multiple of a matrix

In summary, the value of cos((π*M)/6) is not a scalar multiple of M, and the correct approach is to use the diagonalization formula f(A) = P f(D) P^-1 after finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
Vishakha

Homework Statement

Given a matrix M={{2,1},{1,2}} then value of cos( (π*M)/6 )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Eigen values are π/6 and π/2 and eigen vectors are (π/6,{-1,1}) and (π/2,{1,1}).
Diagonalize matrix is {{π/6,0},{0,π/2}}
I got same value (√3/2)M

Physics news on Phys.org
Vishakha said:

Homework Statement

Given a matrix M={{2,1},{1,2}} then value of cos( (π*M)/6 )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Eigen values are π/6 and π/2 and eigen vectors are (π/6,{-1,1}) and (π/2,{1,1}).
Diagonalize matrix is {{π/6,0},{0,π/2}}
I got same value (√3/2)M

I get something different: ##\cos(M \pi /6)## is NOT a scalar multiple of ##M##.

Of course it isn't !
I found similar problem like this in which we have to find cos(A) where A=(π/2) \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}. The process is they first find eigen vectors and then used diagonalization formula.
cos(A)= PDP-1
I'm not sure it is D or cos(D).

Last edited:
Vishakha said:
Of course it isn't !
I found similar problem like this in which we have to find cos(A) where A=(π/2) \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}. The process is they first find eigen vectors and then used diagonalization formula.
cos(A)= PDP-1
Neither, really.
If ##A = PDP^{-1}##, then ##\cos(A) = \cos(PDP^{-1})##. Now, write the right side as the Maclaurin series for cosine.

Likes Vishakha
Vishakha said:
Of course it isn't !
1 & 1 \\
1 & 1 \\
cos(A)= PDP-1

You say "of course it isn't"---but in post #1 you said the opposite.

If ##A = P^{-1} D P## with diagonal ##D##, then we have ##f(A) = P^{-1} f(D) P##, and
$$D = \pmatrix{d_1 & 0 & \ldots \;\; 0\\ 0 & d_2 & \ldots\;\; 0 \\
\vdots & \vdots&\; \vdots\\
0 & 0 & \ldots\;\; d_n} \: \Longrightarrow
f(D) =
\pmatrix{f(d_1) & 0 & \ldots\;\; 0\\ 0 & f(d_2) & \ldots\;\; 0 \\
0 & 0 & \ldots \;\; f(d_n) }
$$

Likes Vishakha
Mark44 said:
Neither, really.
If ##A = PDP^{-1}##, then ##\cos(A) = \cos(PDP^{-1})##. Now, write the right side as the Maclaurin series for cosine.

It gives me expansion of cosine series. I think for final answer may be I have to put value of π.

Thanks for help.

Ray Vickson said:
You say "of course it isn't"---but in post #1 you said the opposite.

If ##A = P^{-1} D P## with diagonal ##D##, then we have ##f(A) = P^{-1} f(D) P##, and
$$D = \pmatrix{d_1 & 0 & \ldots \;\; 0\\ 0 & d_2 & \ldots\;\; 0 \\
0 & 0 & \ldots\;\; d_n} \: \Longrightarrow
f(D) =
\pmatrix{f(d_1) & 0 & \ldots\;\; 0\\ 0 & f(d_2) & \ldots\;\; 0 \\
0 & 0 & \ldots \;\; f(d_n) }
$$

By M is not scalar multiple of cos(π M/6) I meant cos(π M/6) ≠ M cos(π/6).

I was calculating cos(A)=cos(PDP-1) but instead of ##f(A) = P f(D) P^{-1}## I was doing ##f(A) = f(PDP^{-1})##.Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you for help.

Vishakha said:
By M is not scalar multiple of cos(π M/6) I meant cos(π M/6) ≠ M cos(π/6).

I was calculating cos(A)=cos(PDP-1) but instead of ##f(A) = P f(D) P^{-1}## I was doing ##f(A) = f(PDP^{-1})##.Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you for help.

They are the same: ##f(P D P^{-1}) = P f(D) P^{-1}## for any analytic function ##f(\cdot)##.

Likes Vishakha

Related to Value of cos(x) where x is multiple of a matrix

1. What is the value of cos(x) if x is a multiple of a matrix?

The value of cos(x) will depend on the specific value of x and the properties of the matrix. It is not possible to determine a general value without more information.

2. Can cos(x) be calculated for values that are not multiples of a matrix?

Yes, cos(x) can be calculated for any real number x. The concept of "multiple of a matrix" is only relevant in certain mathematical contexts.

3. How does the value of cos(x) change when x is a multiple of a matrix?

The value of cos(x) may change depending on the properties of the matrix, such as its size and elements. However, there is no specific rule or formula for determining this change without more information.

4. Is there a relationship between the value of cos(x) and the matrix when x is a multiple of the matrix?

There may be a relationship between the value of cos(x) and the properties of the matrix, but it will vary depending on the specific values of x and the matrix. It is not possible to determine a general relationship without more information.

5. How can I use the knowledge of cos(x) when x is a multiple of a matrix in practical applications?

The value of cos(x) when x is a multiple of a matrix may have applications in fields such as linear algebra and signal processing. However, it is important to have a specific understanding of the values and properties of both x and the matrix in order to apply this knowledge effectively.