V_n equaion question on PN junction

In summary, the formula for Vn should be V_n=(E_f-E_i)/KT, but why? The write it equation is used to calculate the dimensionless ratio of V/V_T, where V_T is the temperature dependant "constant" kT/q_e. If I'm getting you wrong, could you please reference your equation or state the full equation so I can get a better understanding.
nhrock3
the formula for Vn should be
V_n=(E_f-E_i)/q

field divided by charge in the potential
like i was taught in high school
but why
the write it
V_n=(E_f-E_i)/KT

k in the boltsman constant
t is the temprature

there multiplication cannot be the charge

?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello nhrock3,

There is a small misconception here.

When we write [tex]V_n=\frac{E_f-E_i}{kT}[/tex], E for energy; specifically the energy level in the energy band diagram. In such sense the term V_n is dimensionless.

If I'm getting you wrong, could you please reference your equation or state the full equation so I can get a better understanding.

Regards

nhrock3 said:
the formula for Vn should be
but why
the write it
V_n=(E_f-E_i)/KT
No that does not have dimensions of voltage. You would have to show the context in which it's used but I would assume it is the dimensionless ratio of [itex]V/V_T[/itex], where [itex]V_T[/itex] is the temperature dependant "constant" [itex]kT/q_e[/itex] (approx 26 mV at room temperature).

I am using a keithley system for my four probe measurements.I am getting confused with th

I am using a keithley system for my four probe measurements.I am getting confused with the curre

I am using a keithley system for my four probe measurements.I am getting confused with the current from outer two probes .Since we require a constant current source for that.My problem is that as we are forcing current from outer two probes the system is asking for voltage input.How can it be possible to set any voltage as we are targeting to force current and want to measure from inner two probes.Also if we enter different voltages in that coloumn we are different sheet resistivity.But to the best of my knowledge sheet resisitivity of a material is fixed.

Please help me urgently on this
as i have to complete my project on time

Related to V_n equaion question on PN junction

1. What is the V_n equation for a PN junction?

The V_n equation for a PN junction is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the voltage across the junction (V_n) and the current flowing through it. It is given by the following formula:
V_n = V_T * ln(I_n/I_0)

2. What do the variables in the V_n equation represent?

In the V_n equation, V_T represents the thermal voltage, which is approximately 26 mV at room temperature. I_n represents the current flowing through the junction, and I_0 is the reverse saturation current.

3. How is the V_n equation derived?

The V_n equation is derived from the Shockley diode equation, which describes the current-voltage relationship in a diode. It takes into account the effect of temperature on the diode and the reverse saturation current. By assuming that the temperature is constant and the reverse saturation current is negligible, the V_n equation is derived.

4. What is the significance of the V_n equation in PN junctions?

The V_n equation is significant in PN junctions because it allows us to analyze the behavior of the junction and predict the voltage drop across it for a given current. It also helps in understanding the characteristics of PN junction diodes and their practical applications in electronic devices.

5. What are some limitations of the V_n equation?

One of the limitations of the V_n equation is that it assumes a constant temperature and neglects the reverse saturation current, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect the behavior of the PN junction, such as series resistance and parasitic capacitance.