UV Degradation of PVC: Solutions for Safe Use in Rainwater Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PVC pipes as gutters for a rainwater harvesting system and the concern of potential contaminants being released from UV exposure. One potential solution is to chemically modify the surface of the PVC to make it more hydrophobic and less susceptible to photo degradation. However, there is also a concern about the growth of biofilms and bacteria in the degraded areas. Literature exists on Fenton chemistry and its effects on PVC, which may be helpful in addressing these concerns.
uluru
Hi everybody,

I'm involved with a project that wants to use PVC pipes as gutters for a rainwater harvesting system. The water is intended for human consumption (after it passes through clay filters to take care of biological contaminants). I've been looking at PVC degradation under UV and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer for what contaminants may be released from UV exposure, or what a (safe) method of protection might look like. I've been reading about latex water-based paints but don't really understand if they are safe to use with drinking water.

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have been looking at surface modification of PVC and other plastics to chemically alter their hydrophobicity and possibly allow coating with an inert and bio-passive coating- there is some literature that is pertinent to your question, as it covers free radical aqueous attack on the polymer, something that would be involved in photo degradation...

This Fenton chemistry (Fe+2 and H2O2 at low pH) works by radical hydroxyl abstraction of labile functionality on the polymer and there is literature that works out Fenton chemistry using photo activation. The biggest issue may be physical degradation and promotion of biofilms and anaerobic bacteria populating the degraded surfaces and cracks, rather than detrimental leached chemicals. For my interest, this is what I want to achieve with free living soil Nitrogen fixers. But the literature exists that may cover the chemistry you are up against.

Related to UV Degradation of PVC: Solutions for Safe Use in Rainwater Systems

1. What is UV degradation and how does it affect PVC?

UV degradation is the deterioration of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) due to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. This can lead to changes in the physical and mechanical properties of PVC, such as discoloration, brittleness, and reduced strength.

2. What are the potential risks of using degraded PVC in rainwater systems?

The use of degraded PVC in rainwater systems can pose several risks, including leaching of harmful chemicals into the water, reduced structural integrity of the system, and potential contamination of the collected rainwater.

3. How can UV degradation of PVC in rainwater systems be prevented?

There are several solutions for safe use of PVC in rainwater systems, including the use of UV-resistant PVC materials, protective coatings or films, and proper maintenance and inspection of the system to identify and replace any degraded components.

4. Are there any regulations or standards in place for UV degradation of PVC in rainwater systems?

Yes, there are various regulatory and industry standards that address the use of PVC in rainwater systems, including guidelines for UV resistance and material quality. It is important to ensure that any PVC used in these systems meets these standards to ensure safe and effective use.

5. How can the effects of UV degradation on PVC be tested or measured?

There are several laboratory tests that can be used to assess the effects of UV degradation on PVC, such as tensile strength testing, colorimetry, and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. These tests can help determine the extent of degradation and guide the selection of appropriate solutions for safe use in rainwater systems.