Using the Virial Theorem to Calculate Expectation Values in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, Homework Equations state that:The Attempt at a Solution states that:Can anyone help me with this? I'm learning for my final exams and I found this task in an old exam. I tried to solve <E|H|E> but that didn't lead me anywhere near it.Thanks for your helpCan you show <[H,xp]> = 0?I don't know if that helps:<[H,xp]> = <x[H,p] + [H,x]p>[H,xp]= 0 ??
Lindsayyyy
Hi everybody

Homework Statement

I showed the following:

[tex] \frac{1}{\hbar i} [H,xp]=x \frac {dV}{dx} - \frac {p^2}{m}[/tex]

Now I want to use this to show that:

[tex] \langle \frac {p^2}{2m} \rangle = \frac{1}{2} \langle x \frac {dV}{dx}\rangle[/tex]

whereas |E> is an eigenstate to H with the eigenvalue E. H x and p are operators. Furthermore in my 2nd equation the <> are the expectation value.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone help me with this? I'm learning for my final exams and I found this task in an old exam. I tried to solve <E|H|E> but that didn't lead me anywhere near it.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show <[H,xp]> = 0?
I don't know if that helps:
<[H,xp]> = <x[H,p] + [H,x]p>

[H,xp]= 0 ??

I had to show the first equation which I solved. [H,xp] wasnt 0 there. Or am I misunderstanding something?

edit: oops, is just saw that you mean the expectation value. How to I calculate the expectation value of a commutator? Do I have to solve <E|[H,xp]|E> ?

[H,xp] does not have to be 0 everywhere, but its expectation value should vanish if the virial theorem holds.
This directly follows from the virial theorem and your equation, by the way.

can you show that expectation of commutator will be
d/dt<x.p>
now <x.p> for stationary state is independent of time.

I tired what mfb said to show that the expectation value is zero

[tex] \langle E \mid [H,xp] \mid E \rangle=\langle E \mid Hxp\mid E \rangle - \langle E \mid xpH \mid E \rangle = E(\langle E \mid xp \mid E \rangle -\langle E \mid xp \mid E \rangle) [/tex]

Is that correct? If so I showed that the expectation value of the commuator is zero, but it still don't understand how this helps me to get to the 2nd equation in my first post.

Thanks for your help

@Lindsayyyy: Take the expectation value of both sides of the first equation, and use linearity of the expectation value? <a+b>=<a>+<b>

I'm too stupid to solve it,sorry.

I get zero for the left side as I told above but for the right side I got:

[tex] 0=\langle E \mid x \frac {dV}{dx} \mid E \rangle -\langle E \mid \frac {p^2}{m} \mid E \rangle[/tex]

I mean I can just multiply 1/2 on both sides to get to the solution now. But I don't think that's the point here :eek:

thanks for your help

There is no <E|.|E> in the expectation value, unless you know that you consider the state E only (where did you say that?). And a multiplication with 1/2 gives you the solution, indeed.

I thought when I want to calculate an expectation value in quantum mechanics it has always the form of:

<n|H|n>

the task says that E is an eigenstate to H with eigenvalue E, that's why I did <E|[H,xp]|E>.
Or how do I calculate an expectation value of [H,xp] to show it is zero?

thanks for your help

the task says that E is an eigenstate to H with eigenvalue E
But that is just one eigenstate. What happens if the particle is in a different state?
Do you have the full problem statement somewhere?

I try to translate it, as I'm not a native speaker and the task is not in english:

The Hamiltonian operator
[tex] \hat{H}= \frac {\hat{p}^2}{2m}+V(\hat{x}) [/tex]

describes a particle in one dimension.

(i)Show the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{\hbar i} [\hat {H},\hat {x}\hat{p}]=\hat {x} \frac {dV}{dx} - \frac {\hat {p}^2}{m}[/tex]

(ii) |E> is an eigenstate of H with the eigenvalue E.Deduce from the expression from task (i) that

[tex] \langle \frac {\hat{p}^2}{2m}\rangle_E =\frac {1}{2} \langle \hat{x} \frac{dV}{dx} \rangle_E[/tex]

whereas [tex] \langle...\rangle_E[/tex] describes the expectation value to the quantum state |E>

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the sloppy english:shy:

Ok, just the expectation value for E. In that case, it is fine.
<.>_E is just <E|.|E>.

So my solution was right?

But I still don't understand the factor 1/2. Why is it even there? I mean it would be the same without it, wouldn't it?

Yes.
You can multiply both sides by 2, if you like, and the equation is still true. ##<\frac{p^2}{2m}>## is the expectation value of the kinetic energy, so usually the factor of 1/2 is included.

andrien said:
can you show that expectation of commutator will be
d/dt<x.p>
now <x.p> for stationary state is independent of time.
let us take the right way of doing it.
for any quantum mechanical operator following relation holds
d/dt<O>=(i/h-)(<[H,O]>)+<∂O/∂t>
now with O=x.p,which does not contain time explicitly last one is zero.
so we have
d/dt<O>=(i/h-)(<[H,O]>)
now<x(t).p(t)>=<n|e-iEnt x.p eiEnt|n>=<x(0).p(0)> so it's independent of time.And the required form follows.

Ok thanks for the help. I have one more task for this problem.

V is now [tex] V(\lambda x)=\lambda^n V(x)[/tex]

I shall show the following:

[tex] \langle T \rangle_E= \frac {n}{2} \langle V \rangle_E[/tex]

I tried to derive the V for lambda, but that didn't work out. I think I need (ii) from the post above, but I don't get rid of the x operator.

Thanks for your help

If anyone in the future will have the same problem and might find this thread, I solved the problem in a much more (in my opinion) easier way than in the links state above with the euler theorem

we have the potential [tex] V(\lambda x)=\lambda^n V(x)[/tex]

derive on both sides wheres I substutite lambda*x=u

[tex] \frac {dV}{du} \frac {du}{d\lambda}= n \lambda^{(n-1)}V(x)[/tex]

left side equals
[tex] \frac {dV}{du} x[/tex]

set lambda to 1 and you get

[tex] \frac {dV}{dx} x = n V(x)[/tex]

Related to Using the Virial Theorem to Calculate Expectation Values in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the Virial Theorem in quantum mechanics?

The Virial Theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the expectation value of the total kinetic energy to the expectation value of the total potential energy. It states that the expectation value of the total kinetic energy is equal to the negative of half the expectation value of the total potential energy.

2. How is the Virial Theorem used to calculate expectation values?

The Virial Theorem can be used to calculate expectation values by first finding the expectation value of the total potential energy using the appropriate quantum mechanical operators. Then, the expectation value of the total kinetic energy can be calculated by taking the negative of half the expectation value of the total potential energy.

3. What is the significance of using the Virial Theorem in quantum mechanics?

The Virial Theorem is significant because it allows for the calculation of expectation values in quantum mechanics, which are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It also provides a useful tool for verifying the accuracy of quantum mechanical calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Virial Theorem in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Virial Theorem in quantum mechanics. It is only applicable to systems that are bound, meaning that they have a finite potential energy. It also assumes that the system is in a stationary state and that all the particles are interacting with each other.

5. Can the Virial Theorem be used for any quantum mechanical system?

No, the Virial Theorem can only be used for systems that satisfy the assumptions mentioned above. It is not applicable to all quantum mechanical systems, such as systems with infinite potential energy or systems that are not in a stationary state.