Using the Intermediate Value Theorem to Find Fixed Points

In summary, the conversation discusses using the intermediate value theorem for a proof and looking at examples of functions, as well as mentioning the Banach fixed point theorem as a possible approach.
JasMath33

Homework Statement

upload_2016-7-5_9-47-46.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started looking at this problem and I think I am going to have to use the intermediate value theorem for this proof, but I am not quite sure. I started looking at possible examples of these functions, but I know this is not good enough for proofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Check out the Banach fixed point theorem.

Related to Using the Intermediate Value Theorem to Find Fixed Points

What is a fixed point?

A fixed point is a point in a function or system where the value of the output remains the same even after multiple iterations or transformations.

Why is finding a fixed point important?

Finding a fixed point can provide insight into the behavior and stability of a system. It can also be used to solve equations or determine equilibrium points in dynamic systems.

What methods can be used to find a fixed point?

There are several methods that can be used to find a fixed point, including the bisection method, Newton's method, and the fixed-point iteration method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

What is the difference between a stable and unstable fixed point?

A stable fixed point is one where the system will converge to the fixed point from any initial condition, while an unstable fixed point is one where the system will diverge from the fixed point for any initial condition. Stability of a fixed point is determined by the behavior of the system's trajectories around the fixed point.

Can a function have more than one fixed point?

Yes, a function can have multiple fixed points. These points can be stable or unstable, and the behavior of the system will depend on the stability of each fixed point. In some cases, a function may have an infinite number of fixed points.