Using Taylor expansion for limit solving

In summary: We proved that the remainder of order n is $$o((x-a)^n))$$ when x->a. See how I solved the limit above your post. I just added the remainder to the Taylr polynomial (o(x))
Hernaner28
Hi. I just want to ask: how can I realize that I need to do the 4th order taylor's expansion for solving a precise limit? e.g.

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x\to 0} \frac{{{e^x}-1-\frac{{{x^2}}}{2}+\sin x-2x}}{{1-\cos x-\frac{{{x^2}}}{2}}}[/tex]

We need the 4th order of the expansion but how can I realize just seeing it?another question. Why is this true:
[tex]\displaystyle\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{o(x)}}{x} = 0[/tex]?

o(x) is the remainder (Landau notation)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your tex isn't working for me so I can't answer your first question, but in general you need to use enough terms so that all larger terms just become zero in the limit. Try re doing the calculation using a 5th degree taylor polynomial, our a sixth degree one and you should get the same answer. With time it will become intuitive how many terms you will need fire this to happen

Hmm, alright and what about the remainder o(x)?

PD: I've fixed the LaTeX just when you were typing I guessThank you1

Hernaner28 said:
Why is this true:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{{o(x)}}{x} = 0?[/tex]o(x) is the remainder (Landau notation)
Remainder of what?

Of the Taylor polynomial

Tried to solve the following but couldn't:

[tex]\begin{array}{c}
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x\to 0} \frac{{\log (1+x)-x-\frac{{{x^2}}}{2}}}{{\tan x-\sin x}}=\frac{{-2x-{x^2}-\frac{{{x^3}}}{3}+{o_1}({x^3})}}{{2x+\frac{{{x^3}}}{3}+{o_2}({x^3})+{o_3}({x^3})}}\\
=\frac{{\frac{{-2x-{x^2}-\frac{{{x^3}}}{3}+{o_1}({x^3})}}{{{x^3}}}}}{{\frac{{2x+\frac{{{x^3}}}{3}+{o_2}({x^3})+{o_3}({x^3})}}{{{x^3}}}}}\\
=\frac{{\frac{{-2}}{{{x^2}}}-\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{3}+\overbrace {\frac{{{o_1}({x^3})}}{{{x^3}}}}^0}}{{\frac{2}{{{x^2}}}+\frac{1}{6}+\underbrace {\frac{{{o_2}({x^3})}}{{{x^3}}}}_0+\underbrace {\frac{{{o_3}({x^3})}}{{{x^3}}}}_0}}\\
=?
\end{array}[/tex]

EDIT: I could solve it. It's -infinity. Why is this true:
[tex]\displaystyle\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{o(x)}}{x} = 0[/tex]?

o(x) is the remainder (Landau notation)
Thanks!

Last edited:
It's true by definition of Landau notation, but that's probably not the answer you're looking for. When you write, say, o(x), you're talking about the terms that go to 0 faster than x does. In the quotient o(x)/x, there are two competing behaviors. The numerator going to 0 tends to drive the quotient toward 0, but the denominator going to 0 tends to cause the quotient to blow up. The behavior that dominates determines what happens. In this case, o(x), by definition, goes to 0 faster than x does, so o(x)/x goes to 0 in the limit that x goes to 0.

Consider the limit
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{e^x-1}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\left(1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\cdots\right) - 1}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x + o(x)}{x}$$ The quadratic and higher-order terms go to 0 faster than x does, which is why you can replace them with o(x). If you skip the o-notation, though, you can see what happens is simply this:
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x + x\left(\frac{x}{2!} + \frac{x^2}{3!} + \cdots\right)}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \left[1 + \left(\frac{x}{2!} + \frac{x^2}{3!} + \cdots\right)\right]$$ All the terms that correspond to o(x)/x, the stuff inside the parentheses in the last limit, have a factor of x in them, so as x approaches 0, they vanish.

Last edited:
But I'm not replacing the Taylor expansion by o(x) as you have just done. We prooved that the remainder of order n is $$o((x-a)^n))$$ when x->a. See how I solved the limit above your post. I just added the remainder to the Taylr polynomial (o(x))

Could it be that, as the remainder tends to be zero, then the quotient o(x)/x is zero?

I didn't replace the Taylor expansion by o(x).

Related to Using Taylor expansion for limit solving

1. What is Taylor expansion?

Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function with a polynomial. It is based on the idea that any smooth function can be represented as an infinite sum of polynomials, each with increasing orders of derivatives.

2. How is Taylor expansion used for solving limits?

Taylor expansion is used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. By taking the limit of this approximation as the point approaches the desired value, we can find the value of the limit itself.

3. What is the difference between Taylor series and Taylor polynomial?

Taylor series is the infinite sum of polynomials used to approximate a function, while Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of polynomials used for the same purpose. The Taylor polynomial is obtained by truncating the Taylor series at a certain point.

4. What is the importance of using Taylor expansion for limit solving?

Taylor expansion allows us to approximate the value of a function at a specific point with increasing accuracy by adding more terms in the series. This makes it a powerful tool for solving limits of functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor expansion for limit solving?

Yes, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the smoothness of the function and the order of the polynomial used. In some cases, the Taylor series may not converge or may converge to a different value than the actual limit. Additionally, Taylor expansion can be time-consuming and tedious for higher order polynomials.