Using Skype for International Communication: Pros and Cons

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, I love Skype because it's a great way to stay connected with my friends no matter how far away they are.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Sorry if there's a thread on this already, but I didn't see one after a quick search.

Does anyone here use Skype? I just got it yesterday and I must say that it's great. I love the little pencil animation in a text chat... but I wanted to know if anyone here used it.

My handle is CharacterLimit, look me up if you want.

Physics news on Phys.org

Char. Limit said:
Sorry if there's a thread on this already, but I didn't see one after a quick search.

Does anyone here use Skype? I just got it yesterday and I must say that it's great. I love the little pencil animation in a text chat... but I wanted to know if anyone here used it.

My handle is CharacterLimit, look me up if you want.
I use yahoo chat. Excellent quality audio and video, lots of features, free, and no software to download. If someone calls you and you don't answer, it will send the recorded voice mail to your e-mail so you can listen. Evo Child was talked into downloading Skype and this is so much better.

A [subjective] comparison of Skype and Yahoo! (and over 3 yrs old now).

Final Comparison

With my experiences between both programs using a cable network, I prefer Skype to Yahoo! Messenger. Skype is a much faster program and does not take up as much memory as Yahoo! Messenger. If you prefer quality, stick with Skype. Skype will provide better call quality without taking up lots of space. If you enjoy innovation, use Yahoo! Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger is more high-tech and provides countless features, but is slower and more bulky.

Both Skype and Yahoo! Messenger are wonderful IM systems with numerous members. Whichever one you choose, they will certainly provide you with an excellent communication system to meet your needs.

More here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/235572/skype_versus_yahoo_messenger.html?cat=15

Last edited by a moderator:

Both yahoo and skype are not portable. Google chat is much better: simple and you can use it wherever you go. It has much better capabilties to search through chat history.

I guess I use a cell phone when I need to call people. If I need to see them I will meet them in person.

Pretty cool stuff.

Gokul43201 said:
A [subjective] comparison of Skype and Yahoo! (and over 3 yrs old now).

More here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/235572/skype_versus_yahoo_messenger.html?cat=15
All I can say is that sitting side by side in the same room, the Skype call was breaking up and garbled, and yahoo worked perfectly and that was just 3 weeks ago.

Kurdt and I use yahoo chat to talk while sending video and the quality is crystal clear and no lag, AND it has better features! And we're on two different continents.

The main reason I selected yahoo chat is that they also have it embedded in their yahoo mail client so that it is not blocked at work. It also works on my cell phone. So I can use it anywhere.

KalamMekhar said:
I guess I use a cell phone when I need to call people. If I need to see them I will meet them in person.

Pretty cool stuff.

lol, you know... I agree with this

I also refused to use Skype when I found out that when you sign up, you agree to allow them to route other people's calls using your pc, and your call goes through others.

Do they still do that?

Evo said:
Do they still do that?
It doesn't generally route call data - it may route directory lookup.
There are supernodes which can route traffic, but unless you are one of the few powerfull computers on your countries internet connection and directly on the net (outside a NAT/Router) you aren't going to be a supernode.

The plus side of this is that they don't need a central server routing and logging all your calls.

KalamMekhar said:

Pretty cool stuff.

I use Skype and have to say I'm really happy with it. My best friend lives in Vancouver. I'm a province over to the right of her. I get to see her generally about once a year for a week or so. Sometimes, when stuff is going on, such as people dying or people getting married or pets dying or super-special birthdays, we see each other more than once a year. Sometimes we can't manage that.

Since she gave me a webcam for my birthday a couple of years ago, we can now spend time with each other, talk, catch up, laugh, and show each other stuff, without having to drive 12 hours or spend a few hundred dollars in airfare to do it.

Skype operates smoothly -- graphic wise --, the sound quality is terrific, there's little to no lag in picture transmission, and it conveys the same feeling and emotional connection of getting to spend a few hours in the evening with my friend of 29 years way more than the phone does. You get to see body language, facial expressions, and experience an intimacy from having the majority of the conversational cues you need to really connect with someone conversationally. And we get to see each other. I didn't understand or appreciate the value of "seeing" people until a few years ago, and not I get it entirely.

This is one piece of technology I'm seriously enamoured of. If I can actually get my parents -- who live three provinces to right of me -- onto a computer of their own, I'll get them going on Skype too. That whole "seeing" thing will thrill them, I think so.

mgb_phys said:
It doesn't generally route call data - it may route directory lookup.
There are supernodes which can route traffic, but unless you are one of the few powerfull computers on your countries internet connection and directly on the net (outside a NAT/Router) you aren't going to be a supernode.

The plus side of this is that they don't need a central server routing and logging all your calls.
It uses bandwidth from all computers.

When users fire up Skype, they automatically allow their spare computing power and Net connections to be borrowed by the Skype network

Also, this discussion on the Skype forum
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=50282

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_25/b3938601.htm

yahoo chat does more than skype, it's free, and doesn't share your computer. I really don't like that computer sharing thing. That's why I don't use skype.

rootX said:
Both yahoo and skype are not portable.

Skype is portable; I have skype on my phone.

That's all well and good when you're at home. But if you travel outside your home country much, you'll know how expensive it is, in general, to roam on cell phones. That is when I use skype.

When I leave the country, I don't bring a cell phone. No one needs to bring their cell phone out of country. If you need to contact someone, use a payphone.

Related to Using Skype for International Communication: Pros and Cons

1. How do I know if someone is using Skype?

One way to check if someone is using Skype is to search for their name in the Skype directory. If they have a Skype account, their name should appear in the search results.

2. Can someone use Skype without having an account?

No, in order to use Skype, you need to create an account and download the application onto your device. However, you can still make calls to someone who has a Skype account without having an account yourself.

3. Is Skype free to use?

Yes, Skype is free to use for making calls and sending messages to other Skype users. However, there may be charges for making calls to phone numbers or international calls.

4. How do I add someone on Skype?

To add someone on Skype, you can search for their name or username in the Skype directory and send them a contact request. You can also add someone by their email address or phone number if they have linked it to their Skype account.

5. Can I use Skype on my mobile phone?

Yes, Skype is available as a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices. You can download the app for free from the App Store or Google Play Store and use it to make calls and send messages.