Using Residue Calculus For a General Cosine Angle

In summary: I hope that helpsI am sorry but i am afraid that I have to disagree with you. I am not getting the same solution as you and I am certain that my solution is correct. Perhaps you can show your full solution so I can point out the mistake in your logic.
shen07
Hi, I am supposed to use residue calculus to do the following integral

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{1}{a+b\cos( \theta) } \mathrm{d}\theta$$ for
|b|<|a|​

i have paremetrise it on $$\gamma(0;1)$$ that is $$z=\exp(i\theta), 0\leq\theta\leq2\pi$$ and obtain the following

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{1}{a+b\cos( \theta) } \mathrm{d}\theta=\frac{2}{i}\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{1}{bz^2+2az+b}\mathrm{d}z$$

Now i have to factorise it so that i know where the roots are holomorphic,

i.e i have to solve $$bz^2+2az+b=0$$

Please help me, I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
shen07 said:

|b|<|a|​

i have paremetrise it on $$\gamma(0;1)$$ that is $$z=\exp(i\theta), 0\leq\theta\leq2\pi$$ and obtain the following

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{1}{a+b\cos( \theta) } \mathrm{d}\theta=\frac{2}{i}\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{1}{bz^2+2az+b}\mathrm{d}z$$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} b\,z^2 + 2a\,z + b &= 0 \\ z &= \frac{-2a \pm \sqrt{\left( 2a \right) ^2 - 4 \left( b \right) \left( b \right) }}{2b} \\ z &= \frac{-2a \pm \sqrt{ 4a^2 - 4b^2 }}{2b} \\ z &= \frac{-2a \pm 2\sqrt{ a^2 - b^2} }{2b} \\ z &= \frac{ -a \pm \sqrt{ a^2 - b^2 } }{b} \end{align*}$

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} b\,z^2 + 2a\,z + b &= 0 \\ z &= \frac{-2a \pm \sqrt{\left( 2a \right) ^2 - 4 \left( b \right) \left( b \right) }}{2b} \\ z &= \frac{-2a \pm \sqrt{ 4a^2 - 4b^2 }}{2b} \\ z &= \frac{-2a \pm 2\sqrt{ a^2 - b^2} }{2b} \\ z &= \frac{ -a \pm \sqrt{ a^2 - b^2 } }{b} \end{align*}$

I tried this out but then which root lied inside $$\gamma(0;1)$$ and how do i evaluate the residue using this expression. Or should i simply do a Laurent Series to Obtain the coefficient of $$C_{-1}$$

shen07 said:

|b|<|a|​

Very well!... if the integral is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \frac{d \theta}{a + b\ \cos \theta}\ (1)$

... then the substitution $\displaystyle z= e^{i\ \theta}\ \implies d \theta = \frac{d z}{i\ z}, \cos \theta= \frac{z+ \frac{1}{z}}{2}$ leads to...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \frac{d \theta}{a + b\ \cos \theta} = \frac{2}{i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{z\ d z}{b\ z^{2} + 2\ a\ z + b}\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

On closer inspection, it appears you're missing quite a lot. What is your contour? To perform contour integration you need a closed contour, all you have is an arc...

Prove It said:
On closer inspection, it appears you're missing quite a lot. What is your contour? To perform contour integration you need a closed contour, all you have is an arc...

No, i don't agree with you. when You Paremetrise $$\theta$$ on $$\gamma(0;1)$$ you have a circle centre 0 and radius 1.

- - - Updated - - -

chisigma said:
Very well!... if the integral is...
$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \frac{d \theta}{a + b\ \cos \theta} = \frac{2}{i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{z\ d z}{b\ z^{2} + 2\ a\ z + b}\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

there is a z surplus in ur Numerator.. its $$ \frac{2}{i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{\ d z}{b\ z^{2} + 2\ a\ z + b}\$$

shen07 said:
No, i don't agree with you. when You Paremetrise $$\theta$$ on $$\gamma(0;1)$$ you have a circle centre 0 and radius 1.

Ah I see, I interpreted this as something else...

I'm assuming that $a$ and $b$ are positive parameters.

$$ \frac{2}{i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{bz^{2}+2az+b} \ dz = \frac{2}{i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{b(z+\frac{a}{b} - \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}}{b})(z+ \frac{a}{b} + \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}}{b})} $$

$$ = \frac{2}{ib} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{(z+r-\sqrt{r^{2}-1})(z+r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1})}$$

where $r=\frac{a}{b}$If $r < 1$, both $|r- \sqrt{r^{2}-1}|$ and $|r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}|$ equal 1. So there are poles on the unit circle and the integral doesn't converge.If $ r >1$, $|r- \sqrt{r^{2}-1}| <1$ and $|r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}| >1$. So the only pole inside of the unit circle is at $z=-r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}$.So for $r>1$ (i.e., for $a>b$),

$$\frac{2}{i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{bz^{2}+2az+b} \ dz = 2 \pi i \lim_{z \to \ -r + \sqrt{r^{2}-1}} \frac{2}{ib} \frac{1}{z+r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}}$$

$$= \frac{4 \pi}{b} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{r^{2}-1}} = \frac{2 \pi}{\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}} $$

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
I'm assuming that $a$ and $b$ are positive parameters.

$$ \frac{2}{i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{bz^{2}+2az+b} \ dz = \frac{2}{i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{b(z+\frac{a}{b} - \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}}{b})(z+ \frac{a}{b} + \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}}{b})} $$

$$ = \frac{2}{ib} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{(z+r-\sqrt{r^{2}-1})(z+r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1})}$$

where $r=\frac{a}{b}$If $r < 1$, both $|r- \sqrt{r^{2}-1}|$ and $|r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}|$ equal 1. So there are poles on the unit circle and the integral doesn't converge.If $ r >1$, $|r- \sqrt{r^{2}-1}| <1$ and $|r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}| >1$. So the only pole inside of the unit circle is at $z=-r+\sqrt{r^{2}+1}$.So for $r>1$ (i.e., for $a>b$),

$$\frac{2}{i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{1}{bz^{2}+2az+b} \ dz = 2 \pi i \lim_{z \to \ -r + \sqrt{r^{2}+1}} \frac{2}{ib} \frac{1}{z+r+\sqrt{r^{2}-1}}$$

$$= \frac{4 \pi}{b} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{r^{2}-1}} = \frac{2 \pi}{\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}} $$
Ahh that's exactly what i was looking for as answer, Thanks a lot.

Related to Using Residue Calculus For a General Cosine Angle

1. What is residue calculus and how does it relate to cosine angles?

Residue calculus is a mathematical technique used to calculate integrals of complex functions. It involves finding the residues, or singularities, of a function and using them to evaluate the integral. This technique can be applied to integrals involving cosine angles, as well as other trigonometric functions.

2. What are the key steps in using residue calculus for a general cosine angle?

The key steps in using residue calculus for a general cosine angle include identifying the singularities of the function, finding the residues at those points, calculating the contour integral using the residue theorem, and simplifying the result to obtain the final answer.

3. Can residue calculus be used for any type of cosine angle?

Yes, residue calculus can be used for any type of cosine angle, including general angles. The technique is not limited to specific values or ranges of the angle.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using residue calculus for cosine angles?

One limitation of residue calculus for cosine angles is that it can only be applied to integrals that can be expressed as a rational function. Additionally, finding the residues and calculating the contour integral can be a complex and time-consuming process, making it unsuitable for quick calculations.

5. How is residue calculus for cosine angles used in real-world applications?

Residue calculus for cosine angles has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex functions and integrals are encountered. It is also used in solving problems related to vibration analysis, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields.