Using primitives to integrate moments of Inertia

In summary, Nik is having trouble integrating moments of inertia for spheres using "primitives" provided by his professor. He is using a point particle primitive (mr^2) and setting up a double or triple integral for 2 and 3 dimensional objects, but is struggling with the calculation. He eventually solves the problem by replacing the radius of each disk with r^2-z^2 in the denominator of the moment of inertia equation.
Nikolas
using "primitives" to integrate moments of Inertia

My classmates are lost and I just can't think the way my proffessor does when approaching these problems. He gave us about 50 shapes to find moments of inertia for this weekend and I'm not having any trouble doing them... my way. I can use a point particle primitive (mr^2) and setup a double or triple integral for 2 and 3 dimensional objects and get the right answer without any trouble, but he's making us to use other "primitives." For example to get the moment of Inertia for a sphere we have to use a stack of disks, the primitive being (1/2)MR^2 and dIprim = (1/2)(r^2)dm. But I don't see how that can work with dm being ρdV or ρ(r^2)sinΦdρdΦdθ. The closest I can come to getting his way to work is setting dm to ρrdzdr and running z from -r to r but I end up with (3M(R^2))/(20π) when it should be (3M(R^2))/(5). I don't see how I can get rid of that π since ρ = M/((4/3)π(R^3)).

I think the main incompatibility is that I'm using multiple integrals and whatever coordinate system seems to fit best since that's how I visualize things and how it makes sense to me but since calc 3 isn't a prerequesite for the course he uses a singular integral, and I just can't see how it works.

Thanks,

Nik

Physics news on Phys.org
What? He's just done the integral in dΦ and the integral in dr already.
You still have to find the correct radius of each disk as function of z,
before you integrate along dz (from -R to +R ... sound familiar?)
Using Pythagoras, r^2 + z^2 = R^2

Last edited:
http://members.cox.net/mr2host2/integral1.gif
in (1/2)(r^2)dm, dm = (rho)(pi)(R^2)dz, (r^2)=(R^2)-(z^2), and rho=(3M)/(4piR^3)... but it gives me I=(1/2)M(R^2) which is wrong. Where am I going wrong in my thinking? I'm closer now than I am before though...

Last edited by a moderator:
nevermind I got it finally, the R^2 in dm needed to be r^2 and replaced by R^2-z^2

Related to Using primitives to integrate moments of Inertia

What are primitives in relation to moments of inertia?

Primitives are basic geometric shapes, such as spheres, cubes, and cylinders, that can be used to represent the distribution of mass in an object when calculating moments of inertia.

Why are primitives used to integrate moments of inertia?

Primitives simplify the calculation of moments of inertia by allowing for the use of basic formulas and integration techniques. They also provide a more accurate representation of the mass distribution compared to using a single point mass.

How do you determine the moments of inertia for a complex object using primitives?

To determine the moments of inertia for a complex object, you must first break it down into smaller, simpler shapes using primitives. Then, you can use the formulas for moments of inertia for each individual shape and combine them using the parallel axis theorem.

What are the limitations of using primitives to integrate moments of inertia?

The use of primitives assumes that the object being analyzed is a uniform density and does not take into account any variations in density within the object. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the mass distribution for irregularly shaped objects.

Can moments of inertia be calculated without using primitives?

Yes, moments of inertia can be calculated using other methods, such as using the density distribution of an object or using computer simulations. However, using primitives is often the most efficient and accurate method for simple and symmetrical objects.